Chapter 74 // Lifeline

Jungkook was quiet in the backseat of the car as they drove off into the sunset. He was drenched and stiff, holding on to the person next to him as if his life depended on it because it did. Aaden looked at him through the side-view mirror and their eyes crossed; his blue eyes were riddled with understanding and worry and Jungkook looked down with watering eyes.

A sob shook him and he leaned to hug her to him even more, hidden from the world. He couldn't believe what happened, what they had been through, what life kept throwing at them. He pressed his trembling lips to Leah's wet hair and lulled her — she was breathing, that was all that mattered.

He couldn't stop his cry or quivers, but he kept holding her and kissing her to keep her warm and steady as much as possible. His embrace could have been too tight but he couldn't be convinced to ease it one bit. He couldn't forget and he didn't think he ever would — the sight of that helicopter taking off in front of his eyes the second Lamar told them about it, the sight of it losing control, and finally, someone with long hair letting go and falling.

He remembered things, although he wasn't thinking at the time. The moment he heard and saw the helicopter take off, he darted out on a run. He faintly heard Lamar telling them to keep going, that he'd get a car near the docks so they could follow them. Jungkook didn't answer, he didn't care. All he cared about was that the love of his life was being taken away and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

He was running down the hill to the docks, seeing that the helicopter would go over the river and disappear off to who knew where when a gunshot reached his ears. His heart almost stopped because he knew it came from up there, which meant Leah was in danger. As if to confirm his suspicions, the helicopter lost altitude and he ran even quicker, burning air in his lungs the fastest he had ever in his life. Although the helicopter appeared to hover for a moment, a second gunshot had it finally losing control and it shattered his sanity. He thought he'd reach the docks, jump into the water, and swim to the other side if necessary but before he got there, something froze his blood.

Someone was hanging from the open door on the side of the helicopter, and he watched as that person let go after one spin. The blood drained from his face when he saw the fluttering brown curls, his heart dropping only for him to run even more. It just couldn't be, he had to get there.

The helicopter crashed against the jungle line with a ruckus and he was ready to jump in the water when Aaden stopped him, "Wait!! The current is too strong!"

Jungkook was out of his mind; he was about to punch Aaden so he'd let go of him when a doorless jeep stopped beside them.

"Get in!!"

Aaden pushed him in, fortunately, and Lamar drove him along the riverside in the direction of the flow. He took his backpack, guns, and equipment off while he stared at the river flow, knowing he'd jump in as soon as he saw her.

He was gripping the metal door frames as they went down the road with eyes glued to the water for any sign of her. He never lost hope, not even for a second, and instantly shouted as soon as he saw something.

"Stop! I see her!"

Lamar slowed down but Jungkook couldn't wait; he jumped and ran out of the moving jeep, almost stumbling as he made his way. He was blind to anything that wasn't the form floating on the water, and then he jumped. There was no pain or tiredness, he wasn't even sure he needed to breathe. The adrenaline was so strong he felt like he was moving faster than time itself until he lost sight of her. He wanted to call her name but there was no time; he dove, hoping to go in the right direction and he saw her. He swam as hard as he could with the current, seeing the way her hair wavered around her as she sank.