✔Chapter 19 // Innuendos

Jungkook drank yet another sip from his bier. He was happy Namjoon was there since he knew how to navigate strangers' conversations pretty well — consequences of being the leader of the most successful K-pop group in recent memory. He, on the other hand, felt like he was constantly fighting to keep his ground, to keep the waves from rooting him out and taking him. He questioned if he really ever was as disciplined as he thought he was.

"You have tattoos, what do they mean?" Lamar asked with curious eyes.

Jungkook turned his right palm downward to show his hand filled with symbols. He had considered many times covering them because they could give him away. Even at that moment, his stomach clenched with the possibility.

He feigned acting casual, "The people important to me."

Lamar seemed hypnotized and Somsak turned to look, "Do your people also mark their accomplishments on their skin?"

Namjoon thought there couldn't be a better moment to learn about the tatau. Plus, it was even better that they introduced the topic themselves. He stayed quiet, it was all Jungkook's play.

"In a way, although it is not very common."

"What about the rings on your face? And ears?" Aaden spoke as if he was unsure if to mock or else.

Jungkook didn't feel offended, he was used to being questioned. His whole life, one side asking why did he pierce his ears, and the other why he didn't. Whenever he got tattoos or when he had his face pierced it was the same thing. Everyone else always judging him or thinking they know better than himself what he wants to do with his own body.

So he almost smiled, "Those are just because I felt like it."

Somsak grimaced, "It must have hurt."

"Barely a pinch." He took the opportunity. "What about you, what do yours stand for?"

Aaden kept quiet, and Lamar answered excitedly. "They represent our accomplishments as warriors, of course."

"Is it like a ritual?" Jungkook was genuinely curious.

"More or less..."

"It represents our status," Aaden suddenly said with veiled eyes.

"What is your status?"

The question was neutral but the tension grew. Yet, after a dozen seconds, Aaden laughed.

"Well, I'm the leader of the warriors of Omani. After Daniel."

He was prideful and Jungkook nodded, he had the right to be. That probably meant he was the best, right?

Aaden leaned forward with his left arm in a display. "See this? I have it complete."

He slowly rotated his forearm so they could see the entirety of his half-sleeve tattoo. In between lianas, trees, and allusions to the jungle, same as Daniel, there were sharks that only became visible after careful observation. Some were just in between leaves, some bearing their teeth as if biting away at Aaden's skin. It was beautifully done in a way that under the torches' light, it almost felt like it was moving.

Jungkook noticed, however, that Daniel's was bigger. Aaden's arm was tattooed from the inside of his elbow until about a third of his forearm. Daniel's went until about two-thirds. There were representations of waves and two machetes in parallel positions, but then it ended. It ended perfectly as if it was intended that way, yet in Jungkook's mind, it was begging to be completed.

"Are you going to add more?"

Somsak and Lamar exchanged a look and Aaden's smile disappeared. He took a deep breath.