44

Kayden parked his car close to my parent's restaurant, while I stared at the customers strutting in and out of my parents' restaurant.
"Are you coming in?" I asked him when I realized he unclasped his seatbelt, then he leaned closer to me, he unbuckled my seatbelt and thereby placing a soft kiss on my lips.
"Yes, sweetheart," He muttered when he pulled away from me, leaving me dazed.
'Sweetheart!'
He always has a way of fluttering a girl's heart...
My face flushed, I lowered my gaze to my fingernails and chewed on my lower lips nervously.
"By the way, I need to greet the woman I'm marrying before I leave," He said, and I snapped my gaze to him and rolled my eyes with a scoff.
He was referring to my mum, ever since he had met her, he has been saying he would marry her, I find him cute. If one wasn't close to him, you wouldn't know he had this perky and jovial attitude in him.
"Hmm! Someone is jealous," He teased, and I huffed at him, I opened the door and got off his car, a wistful smile playing on my lips as I closed the door which made a slight thud.
He came out of the car and I walked over to him. He closed the door while I playfully hit his arm and he winced in pretense.
"Ouch! That hurts," He squeezed his face rubbing the arm I just hit while I gave him a straight face then his lips spread in a wide smile, and moved closer to me, bending slightly to my level.
The cool breeze slightly blew my jet black hair, which I let fall to my back.
"She's your mum, you don't need to be jealous," He smirked.
"I'm not," I countered him, and he laughed,
"You're being too cute," He teased, then he brought his hand to my hair and ruffled my hair as if I were a kid.
"Where's the arrogant, I don't give a damn, Jade?"
"Hey," I hit his arm away from my head, pouting at him.
"It's fun watching two young couples,"
"Mum!!" I snapped my head towards the sound of the disembodied voice. No one needed to tell me who made such a teasing comment.
My mum chuckled, she had a clad of a white apron tied around her waist with the logo of our restaurant, imprinted on it.
She was putting on transparent polythene hand gloves, and a food tray in her arms.
"Good evening ma'am," Kayden greeted my mum, leaving me as he approached her and my mum smiled at him.
"Good evening darling," My mum greeted him.
"Darling? Gosh, my heart is aching for you," He cooed dramatically and covered his face with palms as if he was embarrassed.
"That's so sweet of you," My mum laughed as he got closer to her.
"Can you call me darling again?" He requested, sheepishly.
"Darling," My mum called him that again, flapping her lashes at him while Kayden clamped his hands over his chest as if it were really aching for her.
'They got to be kidding me,' I thought bemusedly, staring at the two of them acting like two toddlers.
I couldn't keep up with them and had to keep rolling my eyes at each dramatic move they made with each other in the public.
Even the passersby were smiling as they passed by us.
"You are so sweet, Kayden," My mum, laughed.
"I'm so happy you find me sweet, unlike Jade," He pouted and faked a sob.
"Kayden," I exclaimed in amusement.
"Don't mind Jade, she hardly finds anyone sweet," My mum added, and I began marching towards the entrance of the restaurant.
I'm done with their childish plays and gestures.
"Are you stopping by?" My mum asked Kayden, and I stopped in my tracks.
"No!"
"Yes!"
I snapped my gaze to Kayden and arched a questioning brow at him, then folded my arms on my breast.
"I thought you wanted to greet the woman you were marrying, then leave," I smirked at him.
"Well, won't I eat out of the food the woman I'm marrying makes?" He threw back, a teasing smirk playing on his lips, and I can't help but shake my head in annoyance.
"You two are so cute," My mum pouted.
"Of course, we are," Kayden agreed.
"Come on, inside," My mum said, and Kayden collected the food tray from my mum.
They tugged at each other arms together like couples and both walked inside the restaurant, I couldn't help but smile while I followed behind them.
~~
Kayden threw a fry into his mouth and munched on it while I stared at how pink his lips were.
"Will you stare at me until I finish eating?" He asked, wiggling his brows at me, while I smiled.
"I can't help it," I told him truthfully, and he smiled.
"You look adorable," He said, and I feel my cheeks heat up, and I smiled at him.
"How's Brandon?" I asked him, I've been wanting to ask since.
"Can we not talk about him?" He frowned, the smile on his face suddenly disappearing, he seems angry and hurt about what they did to him.
"Okay, I just wanted to know if he was okay after I knocked him out," I revealed, and he raised his lashed and stared at him, throwing a fry into his mouth.
"Are you caring for him now?" He questioned with an icy look.
"No, what? No, I'm not," I uttered.
"Good," He said, putting on that cute smiling face he had on earlier.
"I know they hurt you," I muttered, leaning closer to the table while he stared at me.
"But do you want me to knock you out, to know how it feels?" I teased him and he coughed.
"No, I know you're super strong, I don't look all that strong like a superhero, I can't take it," He laughed, and I smiled.
Then his other hand on the table reached out to me and touched my hands while I stared at him.
"Don't worry, he's fine and probably banging a chick somewhere, you don't need to bother much about him," He assured me.
"And I don't want to talk about him or any one of them for now," He told me.
Kayden is a good guy, the way he put on those smiles on his face even though he was hurt about the way his friends treated him. He still masked it away and live in the present.
"Okay," I smiled and took out his fries and threw them into my mouth, and he snapped his gaze at me.
"Hey," He growled at me, while I smirked at him.
"Can't I take out of my boyfriend's food?" I quirked my brow at him, the corner of my lips curling up at him.
His lips twitched amusingly.
"Stop tempting me, I don't play with my food," He mumbled and pulling his plate closer to him while I laughed.
'I like him so much,' I thought, staring at him.
"So, tell me, where do you learn to fight? I see you are good in it," He asked.
"Well,"
I drew my chair closer to the table, which made a screeching sound and leaned on the table.
"My uncle," I told him.
"He's been in the military combat after he graduated from high school before he joined the CIA last two years, so I've lived with him close to two years before he settled in joining the CIA," I revealed.
"Interesting," Kayden nodded intriguingly, listening attentively to me.
"That's how you learned how to kick asses and knock out people," He teased, while I shrugged.
"Well, I've been able to stand up for myself," I muttered, and he smiled.
"I know that's great," He smiled at me, and he nodded.
Kayden continued eating his meal while I stared at him, then suddenly his phone buzzed.
He brought out his phone and checked out the caller ID and sighed, his countenance changing to a different mood, then he dropped his phone on the table, leaving it to ring.
"Won't you pick the call?" I asked him eagerly when his phone stopped ringing and after a while, it started ringing again.
"No, it's my Dad,"
"He would probably be asking where I am and start telling me to be coming home," He said dryly while I sighed.
'Something must be happening between him and his Dad,' I thought.
'What about his mum, he never made mention of her?' I pondered staring at him.
His phone rang again and Kayden annoyingly switched off his phone.
"What if he has something important to say to you?" I hinted, but he just smiled softly, and the corner of his eyes wrinkled while continuing with his meal.
"He never has anything important to tell me, Jade," He said.
"He doesn't," and I nodded at him, smiling thinly at him.
"Besides I'm not leaving here, until I finish my meal," He smiled at me and lowered his face to his food while I just stared at him.
"Kayden!" I called him suddenly, and he raised his head to look at me.
"If you want to talk to someone, I'm here for you," I told him, and he smiled brightly at me and nodded.
'I would have cringed if I said this to someone when I was being all lonely myself,' I thought, smiling and being a bit happy about how Kayden had changed me a lot.
I rarely keep up with having conversations, but speaking with him felt much better, I could easily open up to him and feel safer when I was close to him.
I leaned back in my seat watching him eat.
Kayden and I discussed some random stuff about us which we did when we were kids, and we laughed it off, thankfully we were sitting at one corner in the restaurant, where we won't be getting much attention from anyone.
Kayden finally finished his food, which took up to ages, I knew he had purposely slowed down his eating just to stay much longer with me.
"I finished this,"
"Now, it's time for you to leave," I smiled at him.
"Yeah, honestly, I don't feel like leaving yet,"
"It's boring in that room of mine," He frowned.
"We can talk on the phone," I hinted, and he smirked.
"I prefer seeing your face," He winked.
Kayden brought out his wallet, "Are you paying?" I asked and he looked at me startled.
"Won't I pay before?" He questioned.
"Well, the woman you're marrying gave it to you for free," I told him, and his lips parted in awe.
"No, I have to pay, Jade," He refused.
"Well, you are not," I insisted.
"No, I can't eat all that for free," He argued.
"Still a no," I said stubbornly.
"Okay, then, I want to buy another plate, I'll only accept this one for free, if you sell another plate of fries and chicken for me," He uttered.
"You are stubborn," I snickered at him.
"Well, you're more stubborn than I am," He smirked while I rolled my eyes at him.
"Deal?" He inquired, sliding a $50 note on the table over to me, which I collected.
"Yeah," I muttered, and he smiled at me, gazing at me as I stood up from my seat.
"Keep the change," He said.
"Hmm, I got a charity boyfriend," I joked, and he chuckled, leaning back in his seat.
Shortly, I returned with a packaged meal and added a smoothie to it. Kayden saw me approaching him, and he stood up, grabbing his phone from the table.
He moved closer to me and collected the packed meal from me.
"My mum sends her regards, she's busy now," I told him.
"Oh okay, I'll be seeing her next time I come to visit," He said, and I nodded.
We walked out of the restaurant and I saw Rose serving the order of some older couples and their kids, she wiggled her brows at me and said something with her mouth which I didn't get, so I just shook my head at her and followed behind Kayden until we were out of the restaurant.
We got to his car and Kayden turned around to stare at me, then he covered the distance between us.
He wrapped his other arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him, and I looked up at him, flapping my eyelashes at him.
"Good night, Jade," He muttered and leaned to kiss my lips, then he pulled away from me, letting go of me.
'Good night," I mumbled while a part of me didn't want him to leave just yet, and he opened the door of his car and got in.
He closed the door and stared at me as his car showed some side light.
He waved at me and I did the same too before he drove to the road.
I smiled watching him zoom off, then entered back into the restaurant.
I entered the kitchen only to be startled by my Mum and Rose.
"So, care to gist us?" My mum smirked, and I closed my eye, inhaling sharply.