Fever - BakuKiriTodo

[ 2366 words ]

Everything was on fire.

Your cheeks burned a scathing hot red, flushed with sickness whilst a sheen of sweat procured above your brows, one that would return moments after wiping it away.

It was late at night, and you'd awoken to a scorching hot body temperature — a sticky, horrid feeling you could only compare to what you thought being roasted alive in an oven felt like.
Your whole body burned agonisingly under the sheets as you twisted and turned, a final surge of intense warmth making you throw back the covers that imprisoned you. You sat there for a moment, breathing heavily as you raked your fingers through your hair.
This certainly wasn't normal.
You knew it got precariously hot sometimes under the sheets due to all of the shared body heat, but this... it felt like you were burning up internally as well as externally, roasting slowly and painfully like a marshmallow over a fire.

Turning to Todoroki, you stare at his annoyingly peaceful expression as he sleeps.
There had been a few occasions in the past where he'd accidentally used his fire quirk during sleep unwillingly, waking both you and Bakugo up whilst Kirishima slept through it like the rock he was.

Maybe that was what was making you so hot?

Curiously, you reach out to touch him with your clammy hands.
His skin is warm, but nowhere near hot enough to cause your scorching temperature.
He shudders a little at your touch, causing you to pull away immediately, and resume staring into the darkness.
It wasn't worth interrupting his sleep as well as your own.

"What're you doing..?" You hear a gruff voice say from the other end of the bed, making you jump a little.
"Katsuki?" You whisper unsurely, wondering if your mind was playing tricks with you.
There's a rustling sound, and soon, your eyes can make out his figure sitting up, facing you.
You can almost picture his puffy, sleep infused eyes and ruffled up morning hair, paired with a miserable scowl.
He hated being woken up early, and by the lack of birds chirruping, you estimated that the sun hadn't even risen yet beyond the shut curtains.

He grunts again, arm reaching up to rub his eyes and face.
"I said what're you doing?" He asks, silhouette turning back to face you.
His tone is neither harsh or soft — somwhere in between, as if he needed to hear your reasoning.
"I'm... really hot. It woke me up." You admit truthfully.
Even now, relishing in the usually frosty air that drifted around outside of the sheets, your veins still pumped with angry, hot blood, your face still feeling as if it were on fire.
"Hot? Did that bastard use his quirk accidentally again?" Bakugo sighs in annoyance, poking Todoroki.
"No! Don't wake him. I'm not sure why I'm so hot but... it's really, really not good." You whisper, feeling a little queasy.

Bakugo sighs again, and you watch as he hauls himself out of bed, tall figure walking round to your side as he pulls on a shirt.
The bed groans when he sits down beside you, and his oh-so familiar caramel scent begins to infiltrate your nostrils.
"Let me feel your forehead dumbass. Come here." He instructs lowly, turning your face towards him.
His hands are rough and calloused from all his hero work, but there's something gentle in the way he places it against your forehead.
You feel a little embarrassed about the sweat that lingers there, but really, you can't help it.
You watch him frown under the little light that escapes from the hallway.

"You're burning up. It's probably a fever." He says, checking your forehead again with the backside of his hand.
"A fever?" You whisper hesitantly.
How hadn't you thought of that?
It seemed so obvious now that Bakugo had pointed it out.
"Yeah... Did you feel weird at all before going to bed?" He asks, voice still hushed.
You think back, cogs whirring in your brain.