chapter-३४

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ACT. 3 — SCENE 2.

Third Person's POV

Yuvraj Duryodhana gave up his power of throwing the dice and instead gave that power to Shakuni, who was the notorious master of chausar (a board game played with oblong dice) yet Dharmaraj agreed to play.

The dice was made up of Subal's bones. Shakuni called them 'Bhagya ki dasiyan' (Slaves of Fate) because they always gave him the desired number. Subal, the previous ruler of Gandhar had taken a vengeful promise from his son while dying and Shakuni was ready to give it all.

One by one the Samrat began to lose everything, vast treasury, horses, grand chariots and villages.

Panchali and Yashaswani sat in different rooms. The dasis were the ones set up by Duryodhan, hence Panchali was getting the news of her husbands repeated mistakes on the other hand Yashaswani retired in her room, clueless to the destruction going out there by the hands of her most trusted brother.

Panchali's heart started to sink when dasis informed her of the happening of dyut sabha but there was only much she could do. It was totally up to Yudhishtira if he would stop playing and leave or keep playing and lose everything he owns. She paced up and down in the room, thinking of what was going to happen next.

Duryodhan and Shakuni rejoiced, while the rest of Pandavas squirmed in their seats with anxiety.

"I stake Indraprastha now." The Dharmaputra was now blinded by desire. Loud gasps sprang out of the mouths of the courtiers as the bold decision emerged out of The Chakravartin Samrat.

"What are you saying Jyeshth?!" Yuvraj Bheem leapt to his feet but was silenced by his brother.

"Throw the dice, mamashree." he ordered, Shakuni side-eyed his nephew with a smirk as Duryodhan gave him a stern nod. Shakuni rolled the six-numbered die in his palms as he played his turn. "PAU BARAH!"

The hundred Kauravas cheered thunderously while Duryodhan threw his head back in celebration. He was going with the elation as now the reins of Indraprasth were in his hands. Yudhishtira hung his head in shame.

Despite being warned by Bhishma, Drona, Vidur and Sahadeva, he kept playing at his own will. He lost everything that his siblings have acquired to the deceitful ruler of Gandhar, just by two rolls of dice.

He removed his crown from his head and joined his hand meekly. "I wish to abandon this game; I possess nothing worth staking anymore."

He bowed his head in front of the elders as his mournful brothers got up from their seats. Karna's eyes locked with Vibhatsu (Arjun), who looked down in embarrassment, making the Suryaputra snigger.

"Dharmaraj!" Shakuni's voice echoed through the hall. Yudhishtira turned around to face him, 

"There are a few more things that are left to stake." he said eyeing the Madriputra viciously.

"Gandhar Raj!" Bhishma exclaimed, making Soubal scowl in annoyance. "Humans are not objects to stake at a gamble."

"But Mahamahim, Yudhishtira had promised to gamble on everything he has a right on and is proud of. Ask him, is he not proud of his stepbrothers?" Devavrat's eyes grew furiously when Shakuni tried to put the eldest Pandava in dilemma.

He broke the ice while the eldest son of Pandu couldn't answer the question. "Seems like Dharmaraj's source of glory are just Bheema and Arjun."

"No mamashree. My brothers, Nakul and Sahadeva are adroit swordsman and chikitsaks (healers). Moreover, both of them have conquered more than half of Aryavart on their own. I have never considered them anything less than my blood brothers. Pitashree has brought us up without any partiality or differentiation. Just like my cousins have never treated Yuyutsu as a stepbrother.

These three warriors, Arjun, Yashaswani and Bheem have immense respect for our twin brothers as well. It's me who is lucky to have such siblings, who didn't even make a sound when I shamelessly staked everything, they won for me."

"Then you know what to play for next." the evil in his tone visible. "Forgive me my dear anuj (younger brother), for I have no choice."

"Jyeshth! Put me at stake!" Nakul spoke up suddenly. "Bhrata Bheem, bhrata Arjun and Sahadeva are more skilled warriors than I am. Even if you lose, you will be able to set me free if they are at your side."

Little did he know that the destiny was waiting for the all the five brothers to be enslaved.

"I have won!" Soubal exclaimed when Yudhishtira lost the eldest son of Madri in the game.

"Nakul is my slave now." Duryodhan said in a low voice. "Sit down on the floor, das!" Nakul unwillingly did as he was told. The eldest Kaurava swung his sword and banged the crown off his head. Gangaputra clenched his fist as he saw his grandchildren being treated like filth. An angry tear rolled down his cheek as he looked at Guru Drona, who shared the same expression as him.

"Stake that Sahadeva now!"

"Duryodhan stop this game now!" Vidur fulminated against the misdeeds being conducted in the Rajya-Sabha of Hastinapur.

"Who are you to order me like that when the Maharaj himself has no problem with this happening?" Suyodhan retorted.

"Jyeshth! This a grave sin your sons are committing! Stop them before situation gets out of hand. Ask him to release Madrinandan Nakul and apologize to the Pandavas." Vidur begged his brother.

"Stop rambling Mahamantri! This wager is being played without any deceit. My son and brother-in-law have won all the riches and land with dharma." The blind king purposefully used the term Mahamantri, to emphasize his firm contention.

"But Jyeshth, think about bhrata Pandu. How disheartened he might be feeling from the sky, seeing his brother support the misdeeds." Yudhishtira's vision was fixed to the ground, while his brothers looked at their Tatashree hopefully.

Dhritarashtra was struggling to find a vindication against Vidur's argument. Seeing him stuck, Shakuni spoke up. "Mahamantri." his eyes were challenging.

"We had discussed the rules beforehand, hadn't we? Then why this commotion? None of you protested when they were being decided, so you don't have a right to speak against it as well."

"Gandhar Raj Shakuni." Dronacharya's undaunted voice chipped in. "Nowhere has it been said that the directives of a game cannot be changed once formed. You have mentioned fair and square that neither of you will stop playing until one has nothing to lose. These princes aren't coins or jewels to be put at stake. It's time to call it a day."

"Mahaguru Drona, trust me Yudhishtira still has more to lose." he said diabolically, smirking at him.

"I shall stake Sahadev now." Yudhishitira said, his voice barely audible.

"Roll the dice, Samrat."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

WTFFF!!!----I HAVE 10K+ VIEWS ON MY BOOK!! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!

TW: not edited.