Unlikely Coincidences

Author's Note~

Warnings:
• Suggestion of a child's life being threatened*

*I guess so. It's hard to explain.

A few notes real quick.

First of all, Addie has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder), a condition that results in attention difficulty, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. It is often managed with talk therapy and medication. If you have any questions about ADHD, just put them in the comments and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Secondly, Michael found out his birthname--the last name he was born with--from Helpy, who helped him discover it. (Remember, all of the Afton children were adopted!)

~ ~ ~

P.O.V: Michael

"Addie, did you forget to take your medication this morning?" I ask my daughter. "You've been inattentive and bouncy all day."

"I think so. I'm not certain," she mumbles. "I was really tired this morning, so it's possible I forgot to take it."

"Well, you're not tired anymore."

"No, I am not!" She gives me a goofy, innocent grin and I laugh.

I move up in the line of the register. Just two more people to go before our turn. Then I can home to Allison, Jeremy, Gregory--who has been coming over sometimes for dinner recently--and Noah. 

Someone pulls on my sleeve and I tense up, then turn to see who's there. There's a boy who looks to be around the age of eleven or twelve. My breath catches in my throat when I see how alike the boy looks compared to Evan and EC--especially EC. Black hair, green eyes, rosy cheeks, and his bangs have a hint of faded green hair dye. 

"I-I'm sorry to bother you, sir," the boy says politely as he fidgets with his hands. He glances around the area nervously, then turns back to me. "What is your name?"

"Um, Michael. Michael Song," I reply, kind of surprised by the question. "Why do you ask? Are you in trouble?"

"You just... look a lot like my father. I'm sorry to bother you," he mumbles.

When he starts to walk away, I shout, "Wait!" I wait patiently until he looks back at me. "What's your name? Are you in trouble? Do you need me to call someone?"

He looks at the floor, refusing to answer.

"Who is your father? I know a lot of people because of my job. I might be able to contact him," I suggest kindly.

That grabs his attention. He looks back up at me with hope in his eyes. "Really? Y-You'd do that?"

"Yes, of course."

He smiles, excited and relieved. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" He's shaking with excitement. "H-His name is Michael Sch--" But he cuts himself off when he sees something behind me. With fear dancing in his eyes, he turns on his heel and runs away. 

"Wait! I didn't hear your father's last name!" I turn to Addie. "Stay here. I'll be right back."

She nods her head curtly, her face serious.

I run after the little boy as fast as I can. He looked so afraid like he was being chased or followed. He's in danger. I don't know how I know that but I do. It's a gut feeling.

The boy runs out of the store and so do I. He runs into the alley behind the store and I follow him. As I turn the corner, he picks up a small backpack and a small knife next to it. He shoves the knife into his pocket, then runs over to the fence.

"Wait!" I shout, trying to get his attention.

He spins and faces me with wide eyes. "I-I'm sorry! But I have to go," he informs me sadly. "Thank you for your help, though, sir." He starts to climb over the fence.

"You didn't finish saying your father's last name," I say frantically, really nervous about this kid's well-being. "What is it?"

He jumps down to the other side of the fence. "His last name is Schmidt!" And he runs away.

~ ~ ~

To be continued...