The Couple in the Lake {Past}

Author's Note~

Warnings:
• Swearing
• Slight Willry/Helliam

This story takes place long before Henry and Mrs. Bishop divorced. Many years before Michael was even born.

Henry and Doc used to rent a lake house every summer, even right before Fredbear's Family Diner opened. And every time they went, Henry always invited William.

That's it! Hope you enjoy.  :D

~ ~ ~

P.O.V: Henry

I knock on William's door three times. When I don't get an answer, I open his room's door and sneak in. I ease the door shut and tiptoe over to his bed. I know that he hates it when Doc wakes him up whenever we come here, but he doesn't mind when I do. Even though we wake him almost the exact same way.

I shake William's shoulders gently. "Will," I mumble. "It's time to get up, Sleepyhead."

William groans, not wanting to get up. I laugh and pull him upright. He tries to lay back down but I keep him up.

"Your hair is a wreck," I tell him, and he slowly opens his eyes. He stares at me, his expression annoyed and unhappy, but reaches over to his nightstand and hands me his hairbrush. He turns around and lets his overly long hair--an act of defiance against his mother--flow down the side of the bed.

"You brush it, then. It's too early to keep up with hygiene right now," he mutters, then yawns.

"It's eight'o'clock."

"That's too early."

I laugh and start to brush his hair. He starts to drift off when I'm halfway done with braiding his hair, so I pinch his neck. He shrieks and sits up immediately, then turns and glares at me. I just laugh again and continue to braid his hair.

"What's for breakfast?" William asks quietly, then yawns again. He feels me finish off his braid, so he turns to me. "Are you cooking or is Doc cooking?"

"Doc. My turn was yesterday."

I pick him up and throw him on my back. He screams, utterly terrified, and wraps his arms around my neck. Doc comes running in, drawn in by the screaming, with a sharp butcher's knife in her hand. When she sees that it was just William who was screaming, she laughs.

"You two dumbasses gave me a heart attack!" she tells us. "Come get your breakfasts. Bacon and eggs."

Time skip

P.O.V: William

I stare out into the distance as I swish my toes in the water beneath the deck, watching as my closest friend and his wife swim across the lake in a race. Right now, Doc is winning. Her first job was an instructor at a swim school.

A gorgeous butterfly dashes in front of my face, and my attention is drawn to it. It flies right above the water, flitting back and forth, back and forth. It's a beautiful mourning cloak.

In a span of twenty fuzzy, very wet seconds, Henry is holding me up in the deep water as I hack up the cold lakewater. He came up to me as I was watching the butterfly and dragged me off of the deck and into the lake.

"Henry, dear, don't kill him," Doc tells him as she swims up next to us. She turns to me. "Are you all right, Will?"

I nod my head, my throat sore from hacking and coughing. "I'm fine."

She laughs. "Glad to hear it."

A while later, I'm back on the deck with a towel wrapped around my shoulders. The couple are back out in the water, diving into the water and scaring each other. Henry and I used to do the same thing whenever we went to the pool as teenagers. Always had a blast, especially for me because Henry can be a scaredy-cat sometimes. After we were done in the pool, we'd go get orange chicken, fried rice, udon noodles, and spring rolls from this cheap Chinese food place that closed down recently. Even though it was a Chinese take-out place, it always smelled like freshly grilled cheeseburgers and sautéed onions.

How does love come so easy to them? It's not fair. Why can't homosexuals marry each other? I never understood why. It doesn't make any sense. Those two have always been the couple in the lake, able to openly show their love for one another. But if I tried to be affectionate with the one I love, I'd be shunned for weeks. It's nonsensical.