Chapter 11 - Ander

Ander exited the bathroom in his scrubs and completed the barrier. Will had offered to keep watch, but since the threat level was low, the barrier in place would be enough so they both could rest. For the most part, Will seemed to have recovered from the soul damage inflicted by the shades. Ander was still worn down from the amount of spell casting and minor soul damage, but he did not want Will to recognize how fatigued he was. Will was in bed with a bottle of vodka, laughing at something on the television.

Maeve sat against his headboard with her journal, but was not writing in it. She yawned. It was late; she should have been asleep. She had been napping in Will's bed when they returned, but refused to go back to sleep until Ander did. He looked at his Fitbit and set his alarm for later today. It was only two am. If he fell asleep quickly, he would get around six hours of sleep. He had told Will on the way back that he did not want Maeve going with them in the morning. She was more exhausted than she appeared, and they would leave early and return to collect her at lunch.

She slid over and put her journal away when he approached. As he turned off the light, he glanced at her. She was up to something. His eyes flicked to his cousin. "Will, you need to rest," he said in a gentle tone.

Will grumbled, but nodded and took a large drink from the vodka before turning the television off. Ander got into the bed. Automatically, both he and Maeve turned to face each other.

She reached up and touched his hair before her hand slid down the side of his face. "You look tired."

His hand moved to rest on her hip. She seemed to sleep more soundly if he kept his hand there. "So do you," he replied. She would not admit she had spent most of the day sleeping, but he believed his estimate was accurate.

"Because I'm supposed to be. It's two in the morning," she yawned.

"Of course."

"You're making fun of me."

"Not at all. Most humans are tired around two am," he replied.

"But you're not. Well, not usually, anyway," she told him.

Her words were accurate. Two was early for him to go to sleep. However, since she had become part of their lives, he had been going to bed closer to two or earlier. Her eyes slipped closed. Several minutes passed and Will snores filled the quiet space around them.

Her eyes popped open, and she peered at him with concern etched on her features. "But you're tired. Is it because of using magic?" she whispered.

He knew she did not realize how accurate his night vision was, so she wasn't aware he could see her studying him. "Yes, that is part of it." He pondered if she had been waiting for Will to fall asleep before she spoke.

Maeve slid her hand from his chest to his neck and then to the side of his face. "You're warmer than before, but are you going to be okay? Things are still muddled in my head, but you were so cold before. I was afraid you were..." She swallowed and blinked.

There was moisture in her eyes and his chest constricted. "I will be fine. I am recovering. There is no need to worry," he told her and kept his expression impassive.

She rolled back to stare at him. Given the darkness in the room, he was certain she could not distinguish his features. Her hands dropped to the mattress. "Are you hiding from me?"

"No. I am honest with you," he replied, and raised his fingers to her cheek. His eyes drifted to her lips. It took all his willpower not to trace her lips with his fingers.

"You're still in the field, even not being a hundred percent. Isn't that dangerous?" she asked.

"No, I can manage my fatigue. It does not affect my ability to perform my duties," he answered. He could not stop staring at her rosebud lips.

She shifted and brought her hand to his torso and then slid it under his shirt. Her fingers traced over his markings and scars. His skin puckered under her touch. "Then I will manage my fatigue as well," she told him with a smile. Her hand rested over his pounding heart.

"That is not what I meant. You cannot-" he began.

"I can and I will," she said firmly, and rolled until her body squeezed against his. He sucked in his breath and froze. "I feel better," she breathed.

The surrounding air seemed charged and thick. It made him dizzy. His arm had moved from her hip to her back and he held her against him. He needed to move her away before she felt his excitement pressed against her abdomen. Her eyes widened, and she let out a breathy moan. Frustrated with his lack of control over his own body, he gently withdrew. His eyes darted to her face.

Hers were now half closed and her lips were parted. It was the same expression she held the night of the shade attack. She had not been aware of her actions that evening. Ander caressed her cheek and she leaned into his palm. Curious, he slid his hand down her body, back to her hip. Her eyes closed, and she pressed her hips toward him and against his erection. He clenched his teeth and pressed his fingers into her hip.

"Maeve," he said roughly. She made a small sound that resembled a word but was not actual speech. He moved her away from him again. "Maeve," he said again.

Her eyes opened slowly, and she blinked several times. "Did I fall asleep?" she asked with a yawn.

"Yes. No. I am uncertain," he told her.

She pinched her eyebrows together. "Anyway, the point is, I can manage my fatigue if you can."

Ander quirked an eyebrow. That was where she recalled their interaction from. He was relieved he had done nothing more with her, and it was precisely why she should not leave the room. Of course, if a disconnect with reality and being fully cognitive was a reason not to be in the field, should he be the one to judge her? Perhaps it was more effective if he stayed close to her to observe for any other odd behavioral patterns. "All right, you may go with us tomorrow, but not until after lunch. I need to be certain you rested in the morning," he replied.

She snuggled closer to him. "Okay, that is fair, I guess... Always protecting me," she murmured against his chest before she fell asleep.

He held her with so many concerns and theories in his mind. Typically, it would keep him awake for hours, but with her warm body against his, he was able to ease asleep.