Chapter 31 - Ander

It had been several hours since Will's abrupt departure. Maeve had been despondent and did not interact with him very much. Ander did not know what they had discussed outside, but clearly it had caused issues for both of them. He read over the next two mission files and studied the targets. If Will had not disrupted things, Ander would have taken the time to educate Maeve about the next two creatures they were going to destroy. In fact, the werewolf would have been more like a refresher course, since she knew some facts about them, and had accompanied them on the previous mission.

He checked his FitBit with annoyance. Will understood they needed to re-cast the ward again, and it was already past midnight. Technically, it should have already been done. Ander felt the same pull he always did with magic. The calling caressed him and tried to convince him to cast the ward without Will. He knew how to do it better, anyway. It was simple, and Will always struggled with it. Ander glanced at Maeve. She was laying in his bed, not Will's. Her eyes slipped closed more and more often. He would not put her at risk because of one of Will's temper tantrums.

Casting the ward was not real spellcasting, it was minor and relied more on components than actual sources of power. He stood and quietly gathered the needed supplies out of their bags. If he was casting it instead of Will, it would use fewer items and enable them to travel longer before needing to restock their supplies. His hands twitched with excitement as he measured the ingredients. He gritted his teeth and tried to reject the surge of dopamine in his body.

"What are you doing?" Maeve's sleepy voice interrupted his movements.

"I am preparing the components for the warding," he answered. He heard her get out of bed and smelled rosemary and mint before she was at his side.

"Are you doing this because Will isn't here?"

"Yes, he is aware of the timeline. He must be... delayed. In his absence, I can cast the warding for you." He turned to her.

"Okay, do you need me to make the circle?"

"No, when I cast the warding, it is not needed. I can create the circle myself," he said with confidence.

She tilted her head as she studied him. Ander was excited to show her his abilities. She had only seen a glimpse of them at Mason's.

"Where should I stand?"

Ander put his hands on her shoulders and guided her back to his bed.

"Is this going to hurt you?" she asked, looking at his hands.

On the contrary, it might heal his fingers, but he shook his head. "I am going to cast the circle. You will not be able to see it, but when I tell you, step here." He moved to the spot where the circle would exist.

"Don't you need the book?"

"No, I am familiar with the spell," he replied and completed preparing the items.

"Where's the goat blood?" She peered at the components.

"It is... unnecessary when I cast the spell. I can use a fraction of the amount if I use my own - is that acceptable?" he asked and ignored how his stomach tightened as the words passed through his lips, fearful the idea of his blood would disgust her.

"Oh, sure, that's fine. Less sounds better." She smiled at him. 

It was the smile she gave only to him. His entire body relaxed. With a deep breath, he began. She got up and stood where he had shown her. His scalp already tingled from creating the circle. It had been even easier than he remembered, and he moved through the warding quickly. Maeve stared at him, enamored by his actions. He was uncertain what she could perceive, but she seemed transfixed. It bolstered his confidence and a wave of power echoed in his soul. He felt excellent. His mind was as sharp and clear as it always was when spellcasting, and his body sung with power. A tiny voice in his mind told him to stop, slow down, that he could not spellcast, but Ander ignored it. When he was finished, he opened the circle and Maeve moved until her body was pressed against his.

"That was so beautiful. You are... amazing." Her eyes were unfocused. She moved her hand to his chest before her eyes closed.

Again, she offered herself to him. He could take her right now. Make her his. Her scent intoxicated him and his hands moved into her hair as he pulled her lips to his, but stopped himself just before they touched. What was he doing? Exhaustion from casting when he had not yet recovered from the shade mission rippled through him. Behind that, guilt slapped him in the face. Will was his brother. How could he even consider attempting to make Maeve his?

Ander was not entirely sure what was happening, but he had learned enough to know she was not in control of her actions. It was not her choice, at least not when she was more aware of herself. She was not his, nor did she want to be. He removed his hands from her hair and put them on her shoulders before he led her to the bed. He pushed her into a sitting position and stepped back. She blinked and her eyes were clear again.

"That was a lot faster than the last time," she told him.

He nodded. Of course it was. He was the one doing the spellwork. She tilted her head to the side and gazed at him. Her eyes became unfocused, but she shook her head and blinked again.

"Your eyes... are glowing again, not bright, but..."

That answered the question in his mind. There would be no denying what he had done to Will. He would have to accept the consequences of his choice.

Maeve stood up and moved her body back against his, but this time her eyes remained clear as she put her hand on the side of his face. "They're so beautiful. I know Will doesn't like it when they look like this, but... they suit you."

Ander no longer cared that he would have to suffer Will's wrath. It was worth the consequences to have Maeve gaze at him this way.