Chapter 59 - Maeve

Maeve held Ander's left hand and stared at his glowing marks. Her fingers traced over his scars on either side of his wrist. The one on the back of his hand was horizontal and large, like someone had tried to sever his hand. On the inside wrist, it was vertical and not wide, but most of the length of his forearm. She had never asked him about it, but given his background and knowledge from her studies, it made sense he'd have those on both of his arms.

She was still trying to get over the sight of his wounds. When Will cleaned them, it made her feel faint. Not because of the sight, but because they were on Ander. Her chest and shoulder still throbbed in pain and she didn't even have the wounds. When Will had asked her why she hadn't called, she didn't have a good reason, and her mind felt fuzzy when she tried to recall why she'd laid down with Ander. She took a shaky breath and remembered him telling her to lie with him, that he needed her, but everything else was hazy. Her gaze moved to his face. It did soften when he slept. She fought the urge to touch his cheek or brow. The emotion when he'd told her to lie with him radiated inside of her. Maybe she couldn't recall the details, but the strength of the emotion remained.

The door opened and Will strode in. Maeve picked up on the spicy fragrance of his clove cigarettes as he passed on the way to the bathroom. Ander's eyes fluttered open and darted around the room.

"Everything's okay, it's just Will," she told him in a soothing tone.

Ander let out his breath and gazed up at her. God, his eyes were beautiful lit up like that. The dark green was luminescent, like foliage at night, with moonlight reflecting off it. His blue eye was bright like cornflowers in a pasture. His left hand clasped hers before his eyes slid closed again.

Will exited the bathroom and went to the fridge. After opening his beer, he stopped pacing and looked at her and Ander. "I gotta call the doctor to find out what the fuck happened and how he really is. I don't know if he can stay here," he told her in a rough voice. "Depending on what the doc says, I'll let you know the plan."

That was new. Part of what frustrated her about Will was how he never wanted to include her in any of their choices. Or even inform her of what was going on. Was he doing it because she was still mad at him? Or was it because he'd been a jerk earlier? Maeve decided not to ask. It was more important to find out about Ander's condition. He pulled out the cell phone and put it to his ear.

"Yeah, this is Will. Will Levett." He paused and grimaced. "The asshole who almost made you shit your pants. Yeah, I'm calling about Ander. I know that," he growled into the phone. "Shut the fuck up and listen to me," he paused again. "I meant, please answer a question," he said in a forced, pleasant tone. "Did you release him tonight?"

Silence filled the room. Maeve stared at Will and could almost make out a voice on the other end of the phone.

Will rubbed the back of his head vigorously. "Yeah, okay. Right. Can he travel?" His tone shifted, and he sounded tired again. "I know that, but he... left. Tell me what I need to do. I'll talk to Mason. She can be pissed off at me instead of you. Sound good?" Will sat on his bed and stared at the floor.

"Okay, we can stop by tomorrow. You'll get paid either way, doc. Fuck, don't get offended. I didn't mean it that way. Look, you don't like me and soon I'll be gone. Just get the shit ready for pick up in the morning and I won't bother you again, okay?" Will flexed his free hand several times. "Great, see you after nine." Will ended the call, but kept his head down.

"So, he left without the doctor knowing?" Maeve asked in a small voice.

Will nodded. "He shouldn't have left. The doc said he wasn't gonna release him 'til the end of the week," Will said, but continued to keep his head down. "What did he say to you before I got back?"

"He said he released himself and he was tired. He wanted me to lie with him. I'm sorry, I should've called you." Tears pricked her eyes, but she held them back.

Will nodded. "The doc said he broke some equipment in the room, had some kind of episode. They were going to sedate him again, but he swore it was a one time thing."

"Did he have a nightmare?" Her hand still held Ander's while her other hand moved over his scars.

"That, or he mentally checked out. Hard to say." Will rubbed his face. "Either way, Mason's gonna be pissed off. Medical equipment ain't cheap. More work," he muttered at the end and cast his gaze at Ander.

Maeve thought Will would be irritated because of what he'd just said, but instead, his eyes crinkled with concern.

"We gotta stop by the clinic tomorrow on the way out to get his pain meds, a sling, and other shit the doc wants us to have."

"Okay. I'll pack things up," Maeve replied.

Will shook his head. "Sit with Andy for now. I'll pack up our stuff and leave yours for the morning." He stood.

Maeve let go of Ander's hand and got up, too. Will furrowed his brow as she approached him. She wrapped her arms around his torso and held him until he put his arms around her. His worry and weariness seeped into her. She brought her hand up to the back of his head and rubbed where his hairline met his neck. After a few minutes, she felt some of the tension leave his body.

"We can do this together. You aren't alone. I'm here. I'm right here," she told him in a soft tone.

He didn't respond.

She pulled back to see his face. "Are you with me?" she whispered. Something broke in his eyes before his lips captured hers.