36 | LITTLE ROSE

The next day dawned with a soft glow, casting delicate shadows across Bella’s room. Adane sat by her bedside, his gaze fixed on her peaceful face. The rhythmic rise and fall of her chest reassured him, but he longed for her to wake, to see those ocean blue eyes open once more.

Outside the window, birds chirped, their cheerful melodies in stark contrast to the heaviness in Adane’s heart. It had officially been twenty-four hours since Bella had fallen into this deep slumber, yet to him, it felt like an eternity. He wondered what dreams she might be having, what distant shores her mind was exploring.

Adane’s phone buzzed, interrupting his reverie. He glanced at the screen—it was his mother, Jane.

"Good morning mom, how are the kids?" Adane asked

"They are okay, I'll be taking them to school shortly. What about Bella, is she sleeping still?" Jane asked.

"Yes," Adane answered softly, "She's still sleeping. The doctor said that she'll wake tomorrow so I'm just waiting. How is Abby?"

"She is here, still crying but okay. She was asking for you last night."

"Oh, I see." Adane replied. "I'll pick them up from school today."

"Okay, take care of Bella." His mother requested.

"Yeah I will,Bye."

Adane ended the call. Soon after, there was a knock at the door.

"Enter," Adane's voice resonated through the quiet hospital room.

The door swung open, revealing a female nurse in her crisp white uniform. Her eyes widened slightly as she took in the scene; the man by the bedside, the woman lying there, and the charged atmosphere that seemed to cling to the air.

"Good morning, sir," the nurse greeted, her voice professional but curious. "I'm here to clean Miss Cain."

Adane acknowledged her with a nod, his gaze never leaving Bella's face. The nurse moved efficiently, heading toward the bathroom. When she returned, she carried a basin filled with warm water and a stack of fluffy towels. Bella's form lay still, cocooned in blankets.

As the nurse approached, ready to begin her task, Adane's voice cut through the room like a blade.

"Stop."

The nurse froze, her heart racing. Had she done something wrong? She glanced at Adane, taking in his rugged features and the tension in his jaw. The man was a striking combination of strength and vulnerability. She had to remind herself to maintain professionalism.

"Is there something wrong, sir?" she asked, her voice steady despite the flutter in her chest.

Adane's eyes bore into hers. "You can take your leave. I'll take it from here."

"Huh." The nurse's surprise was evident. She stole a glance at Bella, who lay there, seemingly oblivious to the drama unfolding around her. 'Who is this woman?' the nurse wondered. 'She's so lucky to have a man like that.'

"Okay, sir," the nurse stammered, recovering quickly. "If there's anything you need, you can press this green button." She pointed to a small control panel on the side of Bella's bed. "And this red button is for emergencies."

With one last look at Adane, a look that held both admiration and envy, the nurse retreated. As she closed the door behind her, she couldn't help but think, 'One day, I hope to have a handsome man like him.'

Adane stood by Bella’s bedside, the rhythmic hum of machines providing a backdrop to their silent vigil. The room was dim, the curtains drawn against the harsh daylight. Bella lay there, her chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm, a fragile lifeline.