40 | CHANGE THE RESULTS

Bella was sitting in her office, the soft hum of the air conditioner the only sound breaking the silence. She was engrossed in her work, her fingers dancing over the keyboard when she heard the knob on her office door turning. This was unusual; anyone wanting to enter her office would normally knock. Her heart skipped a beat as the door creaked open.

Standing in the doorway was Hanna-Kay, her estranged sister who had betrayed her by cheating with her ex-fiancé. Bella’s breath caught in her throat.

“Hello, sister,” Kay greeted, her voice smooth and confident. She stepped into the room, her dark sunglasses hiding her eyes, adding an air of mystery. The glasses complemented her striking red all-in-one office suit, which clung to her figure perfectly. She looked every bit the femme fatale.

Bella’s eyes narrowed as she tried to mask her surprise and anger. “What gives me the pleasure of seeing you today, sister?” she asked, her voice laced with sarcasm. She guessed that the employees must have mistaken Kay for herself, allowing her to enter the office without question.

Kay waltzed to the seat before Bella’s desk and sat down gracefully. She knew that Bella wasn’t aware of her affair with Carlos back then, based on how Bella had treated her a month ago. Kay removed her glasses, revealing tear-filled eyes, and started to sob.

“It’s C-Carlos,” she stammered, her voice breaking. “He doesn’t love me. He wants us to get a divorce.”

Bella’s expression remained stoic. She knew Kay was telling the truth, but she couldn’t muster any sympathy for her sister. “Why does he want to divorce you?” Bella asked, her tone cold and probing. She wanted to dig into Kay’s wounds.

Kay looked up at Bella, drying her tears with trembling hands. “I-I-I…” she paused, struggling to find the words. “-I can’t get pregnant.”

Bella felt a surge of satisfaction but kept her face neutral. “How do you know that you can’t get pregnant?” she asked, her voice calm and measured.

Kay’s shoulders slumped as she recounted her painful truth. “We did a test three years ago when I realized I couldn’t conceive. The test showed that Carlos could have a child, but I couldn’t.”

Bella’s heart hardened further. She had no pity for Kay, only a cold sense of justice. “So, that’s why he wants to leave you,” she said, her voice devoid of emotion. The room fell silent, the weight of their shared history hanging heavily between them.

You must have a reason for coming to me, right?” Bella questioned after a while, her eyes narrowing as she studied Kay.

Kay nodded, her expression tense.

“You never really asked me for anything in the past; you just took it. So, what do you want to take from me now?” Bella asked with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

Kay’s face stiffened. She hated asking Bella for anything, but she had no choice now. Her plan to destroy Bella would come later, but for now, she had to prioritize her needs. “The doctors said that my eggs were faulty, and that’s why I can’t get pregnant. I’m here to ask if I can get some of your eggs.”

Bella leaned back in her chair, her expression unreadable. “I can give you some of my eggs,” she responded slowly. “It’s just that I want something in return.”