Chapter 57 - Bali

Taehyung reserves Hybe's private jet for early February, so we can take our birthday trip to Indonesia. It's the first time I've ever flown on anything so fancy, but I try to play it cool. Our flight time is just over seven hours, so we enjoy the nice catering, play a few hands of Uno (I win every time), watch a Squid Game rerun, and then snuggle up together for a nap on one of the posh lie-flat seats.

I feel remarkably well-rested when we arrive in Denpasar, and there is very little tourist traffic so getting through customs is a breeze. We pick up the rental car, Tae types the resort's name into his phone navigation, and we set out along the narrow coastal highway.

Dense green forests line the road, opening up on rice fields or small villages from time to time. We catch a glimpse of an ornate Hindu temple peeking out among the trees, and the road is full of motorbikes and scooters buzzing by. A monkey runs across the road in front of me, and I slam on the brakes - fortunately, it makes it across unscathed. "This place looks amazing. We should come back some time for longer, and really explore!" I say.

Tae grins at me and pulls his shades down to look at me. "Yes, let's live here for a while, too!" I chuckle.

After just over an hour's drive, I steer the rental car into the resort's valet spot and we go inside to check in. The resort is really beautiful, but has a deserted air about it, thanks to the pandemic. Bali only started allowing tourists in again this month, and not too many have come. But that's perfect for us - fewer other tourists means less likelihood of running into ARMYs here.

Our cabana is absolutely gorgeous, designed and decorated in a neo-colonial style, with lots of rattan, creamy linens, lush house plants, and natural colors. The soaring ceiling is ribbed with teak wood, reminding me of the upside down hull of a ship. A folding glass accordion door looks out on the infinity pool and hot tub, and there's a lovely view of the bay beyond. To each side of the pool deck, there are abundant flowering trees and manicured shrubs that create a natural screen between us and the neighboring cabanas. Stylish, modern deck furniture and a small table with three chairs finish the wonderful outdoor space.

"I love the décor here, babe," I tell Tae, and he nods.

"We should make a house like this someday," he says. My heart jolts, but I cover my panic with a smile.

"I thought you wanted a Victorian gingerbread house like that one at the arboretum in LA?" I tease. "Or an English country manor house with extensive stables?"

Tae just grins at me.

There are wooden steps down to the beach, and a long dock runs out into the bay. I can see a couple of sit-atop kayaks pulled up on the beach, and there is an open shelving unit to the left of the infinity pool that has snorkels, masks, and fins in it.

We consider walking down to the beach, but decide to just put our suits on and go for a swim in the infinity pool, instead. We alternate between the pool and the hot tub, careful not to overheat his skin, and then go inside for an afternoon nap.

In the evening, we sit out on the pool deck under a big umbrella to eat our dinner, which is amazing. We sample the grilled spring chicken with coriander, served on a bed of mushroom rice, and a dish of calamari dipped in sambal sauce, which almost reminds me of gochujjang but with a gingery twist.

After our dinner has settled a bit, we put our swimsuits back on and watch the pink, tropical sunset from the edge of the infinity pool. As the air starts to cool, we hop into the hot tub and snuggle together, watching the stars appear one by one in the night sky.

"Birdie, this is perfect," Taehyung says, pulling me into a back hug.

I sigh contentedly and lean back against his chest. "I'm so glad we came. Thanks for getting the plane for us, babe!" I say.