Seventeen

Jimin left quickly after he sensed Hobi had tired of his line of questioning, making excuses he was meeting Tae for dinner. He couldn't blame him, he'd dropped a huge bomb on him and Hobi probably wanted to be alone. Worse, he could tell he was starting to upset his friend. He needed to rethink his approach altogether.

"Can you take me to Jin's?" Jimin settled into the leather seat in the back of the car, they still weren't letting him drive or go anywhere outside of his apartment alone.

That confused him too, he'd had an allergic reaction at an awards party. To his knowledge he was only allergic to cats, but the doctor had brushed off his concern saying every ten years or so allergies changed.

The issue was no one had explained what he'd reacted to that night so how could he avoid it in the future? Jimin didn't remember the last two years let alone every single thing he'd eaten or had to drink at a party within the last month. Besides why would he need extra protection over an allergy anyway?

"No Sir, we're supposed to take you straight home." The security guard glanced in the mirror, his denial of the request was professional but it irritated Jimin.

"Then drop me off at the next block, I'll call a cab." He pulled his phone out to pull up the app for a car service.

"I'm not allowed to leave you alone. I'll take you home and you can call one of the managers and sort things out." Jimin glared at the back of his head, was he a child with no free will?

Was he so popular now he couldn't go out in public at all? He'd enjoyed at least some ability to come and go as a private citizen from what he could remember. Jimin went to restaurants and bars occasionally, even VIP sections of some clubs. That gave him an idea.

"Would it be unauthorized to stop for food?" He tried not to roll his eyes when he said it.

He watched as the security guard typed into his phone the glowing screen unmistakable. They sat in silence for about a minute before he guessed the silent response returned from a manager.

"Alright, what would you like Jiminssi?" Jimin didn't exactly feel grateful the person on the other end of the text had given him permission to do something he didn't need permission to do.

"Butterfly Cafe, I'll order to go but I'd like to see somewhere familiar."

With a nod they were on their way, Jimin had no clue what he thought he would accomplish. The restaurant has been his favorite, but he'd gone there with lots of friends. If he was trying to pull back memories it wasn't focused enough. Except for the fact that the only date he'd taken there to his knowledge was Tae.

Speaking of Tae he decided he couldn't just reveal he knew they'd broken up and everyone was faking their relationship. It seemed the guys intensely wanted the charade to continue. The more he pushed to figure out things the more they acted concerned.

Jimin decided BTS was the wrong group to be digging into the past with. He'd just pretend to accept their version of reality and look into things behind their backs. He'd caused enough stress on the five of them, with everyone walking around like shadows of themselves with Kookie gone he couldn't imagine actually confronting them and adding to their pain.

If he'd broken up with Tae nearly three years ago, had he remained single all that time? It wouldn't have surprised him, he likely would have been forced to return  to being Irene's sub full time again. A feeling washed over him, was that why they wanted him to believe he was still with Tae? They didn't want him to remember what had happened with Irene after Jjille's death?

He knew what he had to do, only one person would gleefully tell him the truth about the atrocities he'd committed or been subject to the last years. Irene would relish recapping everything, even behind bars. The problem was he wasn't sure he'd ever figure out how to visit her at a prison. Security sought approval to take him to a familiar restaurant, they wouldn't just casually drive him over.