Thirty Three

🖤Press Play🖤

"Ghost" by Justin Bieber

~

~

~

~

~

~

"I know you crossed a bridge that I can't follow"

"If I can't be close to you I'll settle for the ghost of you, I miss you more than life"

"I'd leave it all behind if I could follow"

~

~

~

~

~

~

You felt like you'd been in the river forever, your lungs burning as you kicked upward to keep your head above water. In fact, you reasoned, it probably had only been less than five minutes. The exhaustion of your struggle made you want to shut your eyes and give up.

You felt your body bump into something solid, it wasn't hard but it was warmer than the surrounding water. Had you struck it or had it grabbed you? Your back was to whatever it was and you couldn't manage to turn yourself around. You were kicking and twisting trying to decide if you were safe or if you needed to fight.

"I've got you Bunny stop struggling." You cried out hearing Kookie and felt like you were going to break as the emotion hit you like a punch. His voice was barely a whisper, gravelly, the noise of the splashing water much louder than the shaky tone.

"I c-couldn't find you-u in the car." Your teeth were chattering, your body completely icy, you knew you were going into shock. The only thing warding it off now was the tiny comfort that he was alive and had found you.

"I'm sorry." Were his words even fainter? You recognized his hand was around your stomach, your back pressed to his shoulder.

The two of you weren't moving, the current rushed past you but yet you remained in place. Very carefully you turned, knowing now that it was Kookie's body you could grip his shoulders to move. His face was a mask of pain, an angry looking cut at his hairline dripping blood down his forehead. He winced and you worried that you'd hurt him, remembering the wound at his lower stomach through his side.

Facing him you could tell he held onto something beneath the muddy surface and when you looked down the river past him could tell it was a tree or very large branch. It seemed to be suck or wedged against something that allowed it to not be dragged away. How had he managed to grab you as your body floated by, the water was moving too quickly?

"Your lips are blue." His eyes were concerned and his hand, now at your back pulled you tighter against his body.

"I'm okay, you're the one that's hurt." Your eyes scanned him, every part of him you could see above the cloudy surface of the water at least.

Even though his grip on you was firm there were other signs Kookie wasn't doing well. Despite the cold he appeared to be sweating, his color was grayish and he didn't breathe deeply. You shifted, very carefully, until your feet grasped purchase on the tree branch alleviating some of the pressure on him to hold you.