Chapter 2

I stared up at the agency building in dread. After the spite died down, I realized that the test run would be my professional life for the foreseeable future. I impulsively signed the contract after Dynamight and I finally got back to the office building last week. With the more permanent contract, there are now some new rules that are of note.

Any personal losses incurred because of Dynamight will be deducted directly from his paycheck. (I find great joy in this).

I have to work there for the next six months or else incur a very heavy breach of contract fee. (I do not find great joy in this).

Alternatively, I cannot be fired during my contract by Dynamight. The exception to this is if I cause significant harm or scandal to either Dynamight or the agency. The agency can fire me but they are required to give either a month's pay or a month's notice. (Neutral)

Other than that everything else was normal. They were disturbingly grateful to me for taking the job and it dawned on me I probably just made my life hell. I'm spiteful but I didn't have the stamina to keep that up for long. Besides, Dynamight isn't my only enemy in this place. Already I had to go to work an hour early for this meeting since the rest of his schedule was booked and his time was very limited once the workday started. I glanced up at Mr. Kakimori who was ten minutes late to this meeting and clearly felt no need to explain himself.

He logged into the computer in the meeting room and once he prepared everything he turned on the projector.

"So the re-occurring duties for heroes are as follows." He clicked a slide."Hero duties mainly consist of patrols, investigations, catching criminals to hand over to the police, mitigating nearby emergencies, press conferences, hero awards, and rankings. The last two tying directly into the important part."

He pointed at me.

"You will assist Dynamight in the activities that raise the public's awareness of him." he flipped the slide. "These are short-term to one-time events, interviews, documentaries, modeling, commercials, and press conferences. All of these things bring a connection from Dynamight to the public and directly help his ranking which in turn helps the company. A win-win!

He turned towards me.

"Now remember, your MAIN priority is to get Dynamight to do public relations events and organize them for him. He will do his best to convince you to do otherwise."

"I mean...I understand that the PR events help his ranking and help the agency but being a hero is-"

"Miss Y/N. I need you to keep in mind that this is a business. While it would be great for heroes to be able to just be heroes that's not the world we live in. Yes, we get federal funding for hero activities but their popularity is directly correlated to the public's access to them. In order to preserve our business going above and beyond to make sure our heroes are on the forefront of the public's minds is why they partner with us."

While I tried to keep the disgust off my face at corporate greed, he turned off the projector and checked his watch. He stood up and I followed suit mentally attempting to recall where the in building cafeteria was so I could grab a quick snack. When we passed by the elevator, Mr. Kakimori put a hand on my shoulders

"Last thing, Dynamight is a handful but I believe we've compensated you enough to handle that right? This was a very expensive investment on our part so please take care to do your job well." He said with a smile.

Sit down, shut up and take the heat for being the messenger. Got it.

I grabbed a coffee and a bagel at the cafe. At the last minute, I decided to get something sweet because I could sense that I was gonna need it today. Since he didn't bother to introduce me to my coworkers I steeled myself and headed over to the break room where people were chatting and getting coffee. When I walked in everyone got quiet and looked at me with curious eyes. I smiled and introduced myself which was met with a moment of heavy silence. A woman with orange curly hair and bright eyes walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder with her other hand curled into a thumbs-up position.