Chapter 8

A/N: I promised myself I would write the whole thing before I published any more chapters but I am weak. A being of hubris. Like Icarus, my ambitions will burn me before I reach them. Anyway enjoy the chapter

I'm gonna pretend that I didn't recognize that voice.

The girl greeting Dynamight was one of the usual callers who sneakily tried to get his schedule. I made a reminder on my phone to manually check the gift she left and to check his clothes for any tracking stuff. As the meet and greet dragged on Dynamight was slowly getting more and more irritated. Finally, the end of the slotted time arrived and I kicked his leg to get him to thank his fans for showing up. We walked into the back and he sighed deeply.

"The life of a hero is so hard." I said.

"You really get on my fuckin-"

A reminder for the next event rang out of my phone. I sighed, lightly pushing Dynamight toward where we left the car. I quickly thanked the library for hosting and climbed into the back seat. As I was double-checking over the details of the next event Dynamight huffed, throwing off his mask.

"Why is today so busy?" He asked.

"It just kinda lined up that way, sorry."

"Did I do something to piss you off?" He asked with a suspicious look.

I purposefully stayed silent for a beat before saying no. He groaned.

"You couldn't settle this any other w-?"

"Oh! Give me your clothes. Fuck! I should've checked that package. After I greet the manager of the next place I should-" I started rambling.

"We have people to check the packages. Now, what about my clothes?"

"You have some crazy fans and they could've snuck some-" I said as his shirt was tossed in my direction.

My eyebrows pulled together as I looked to Dynamight for an explanation. The second I saw rippling abs and glistening skin, I quickly looked away.

"Why are you naked?"

"You needed to see my clothes." He laughed

"Strip when we get to the modeling gig." I sighed. "Use your head."

"I'm not parading in my hero suit for shit like this. So I'm changing clothes anyway."

"And you didn't think 'oh maybe I shouldn't because-"

"No." He cut me off.

"Oh yea, sorry. It's insensitive for me to ask something you can't do."

"Check my damn clothes assistant."

"What'll they say when Mr. Hope for A New Generation of heroes is a perv who strips in the car?" I wondered aloud.

I waited for his snarky comeback but it didn't come. He just sighed.

"Same shit they're saying now." He replied, a heaviness to his voice.

I paused, then resumed checking his glove. It's been a while since I've seen it but I can see him getting more irritated these days. I guess the meeting with Mr. Yashiro reminded him of his frustrations with the job. We've coordinated with Red Riot and Deku's team to figure out how to market this in order to tease the variety show. This ate into patrol time, not by much but those worlds intersecting seem to be chipping away at Dynamight's newfound calm.

It was pretty successful so far and the fandoms have been in a tizzy. Unfortunately, that meant me fielding more crazed fan calls which was fine since I could just hang up. During interviews, Deku talked more about their rivalry in high school and Red Riot talked about their training sessions together. They've also been collaborating more on hero missions updating the official social media with pictures of them apprehending villains. It's kind of cool. I've also been pulling late nights organizing ideas for the Variety show events. Stuff that's familiar but ridiculous and fun. Mr. Kakimori didn't like that things were being changed from the original plan but since I'm basically glued to Dynamight right now, he hasn't had the chance to make me feel small about it yet.