Chapter 53

When I woke up it was dark. The machine next to me beeped softly in a steady rhythm as I took in my surroundings. I sluggishly sat up and tried to remember how I got here. Everything came back in pieces. Kaiya attacked me. Kaminari and Katsuki rescued me. Threw a brick at Kaiya. I smiled at the last thing. I glanced at the clock and it was a little after midnight. I looked around my bed and saw my stuff in a plastic bag on top of the side dresser. I fished out my phone and saw some notifications—lots of asking if I was okay and insults to Kaiya.

Katsuki: 

Text me when you wake up and open your window.

I opened my window and sent him a text.

Less than ten minutes later I heard a distant pop then a grunt as something heavy perched itself on the windowsill.

"Are you allowed to do that?"

Katsuki didn't answer me. He turned on his phone light, examining my face before sighing.

"That bad?" I asked.

"You looked like dog shit." He sighed before plopping himself in the chair beside my bed.

He turned off the phone light and scrolled before showing me what I looked like when they took me in. I didn't really sleep well that night so we were already starting off not hot but I looked like I hadn't slept in years. The dry dirty tearstreaks really added to the misery on my face as well. The cuts on my legs were way deeper than I thought they were. Dirt and blood were smeared everywhere. My ankle was very swollen and various parts of my body had bruises. I can see why he wasn't really in the mood for joking when he got to me.

"Point taken." I winced.

"How do you feel?"

"Good. Rested even."

"Good." He sighed.

"So..." I said, fiddling with my hands. "What happened with her?"

"She's in prison for various reasons including violating the Heroes Act, assault, harassment, and destruction of property. They hit her with basically everything they possibly could, especially since we found out that she permanently damaged the brains of those officers she used to arrest you."

A shudder went through my body.

"I would NEVER do that to him. You on the other hand..."

I'm really glad they saved me before anything else happened.

"Were they able to return to who they were?"

"Yup, thanks to Eri. Doesn't help the psychological stuff though they'll have to work that out on their own."

"I imagine your body moving against your will is terrifying." I said.

"Yea." He said a little flippantly.

"They couldn't control themselves." I chastised lightly.

"Still pissed."

Silence stayed between us for a hot minute before I smiled.

"I got her pretty good with the brick."

Katsuki rolled his eyes and gave me a slight smile.

"Like I said, you should go for the national team."

"If only baseball didn't have all that running."

"A shame."

Another beat of silence before Katsuki sighed heavily.

"Do you...want to re-think anything?" He asked reluctantly.

"Like...what?"

"Like us."

I frowned and looked at him.

"Do you?"

He didn't answer. A little sting of hurt shot through me.

"Well, I don't. But I'm not gonna force you to stay in a relationship with me."

"It's the other way around."

"Can you just spit it out?" I huffed.

"Kaiya isn't the only crazy person out there. This could happen again. And it isn't a small chance that it will."

I sat with that for a moment.

"So?"

"Fuck you mean so?" He said.

"I could get randomly attacked regardless. We live in Musutafu crime isn't exactly low around here."

"But you might get targeted and that's way different."

"Katsuki I'm way more worried about you coming home injured than whether I'd get kidnapped."

"Well, I fucking need you to worry more about yourself. I need you to..." He trailed off.

We sat in silence again. This time I sighed.

"Fine. What happened at the station scared the shit out of me. I'm probably going to have nightmares about it for a while and I hated how powerless I felt against Kaiya. That was terrifying and embarrassing and overwhelming."

I fiddled with the covers trying to find the words I wanted to say. And the words I didn't.

"And...I can't say that I felt no regret during it. That was alot."

Katsuki looked down.

"But I really want to be with you," I said. "More than those other things scare me. And I don't wanna see you with anyone else." I said. "I could start some training to protect myself. Make us both feel better."

Katsuki got up and gently lifted my face toward his.

"You sure?"

"Positive. Now can you get in the bed already? It's cold in here."

"Scoot the fuck over then."

We talked about what happened during his meeting with Kappa Hair and Kaiya.

"He woke me up when he called." I grumbled.

"Really? And here I thought you were just pissed at him."

"I was but just waking up gave it that extra oomph."

I snuggled into him relishing in his warmth.

"Why'd you go to Deku." He asked.

"What?"

"To get the evidence."

"Because I wasn't sure it'd be valid if you did it since it's about you?"

Katsuki relaxed a little more, acknowledging my words with a grunt.

"Was that seriously bothering you?"

He didn't answer.

"Katsuki...you're very cute."

"Shut up."