Chapter 15

A/N: Back to regularly scheduled programming

I went out to lunch with everyone again. This time we tried a hole-in-the-wall ramen place that Kame swore by. So far she was completely right to do so, even if I'm pretty sure a health inspector could shut this place down. Violating health codes or not, this food was to die for.

"You're looking pretty chipper, I thought you'd be tired." Akira commented as he slurped some noodles.

"Why would I be tired?" I asked. "Well, more than normal I guess."

"Guess you've really got the hang of this if it was that easy to reschedule." Miyuki commented as she picked up an egg out of the broth.

"What are you guys talking about?" I said, lowering my chopsticks.

They all looked at each other for a moment.

"Rescheduling...because Dynamight got seriously injured today on patrol?" Akira said hesitantly.

"...what?" I dropped my chopsticks.

They all looked at each other as I quickly pulled out my phone and called Bakugo's number. He wasn't picking up. I checked the hero group chat and they were all talking about it. The hospital was mentioned and I rushed over, noodles and friends forgotten. A million thoughts raced through my head.

How did it not occur to me to check for this before now?

Fuck if he's really messed up people are not gonna be happy about the last-minute changes.

Is he okay?

This is going to be so many calls.

I shouldn't have muted that group chat.

Once I got to the hospital, I had to spend 30 minutes verifying that I was his assistant and that yes it was necessary that I saw him before I was led to his room. When I got there, my heart dropped. All thoughts about anything else disappeared. His midriff was covered in bandages as he lay groggily on the bed. He had scrapes over his arms and a bruise forming on his cheek. I stood in shock for a second before he opened his eyes and looked at me.

"Quit acting like I'm dying." He said, his gravelly voice much quieter than usual.

Even without the recent scars, some pretty serious older wounds were littered all over his body. I hesitantly walked up to his bed and it hit me. He was a hero. And this was what it meant to be a hero. He wasn't some celebrity or diva who occasionally went into the field. He was a hero. A hero who could die on the front lines at any time. With shaky hands, I put my hands on his arm. I stared at the faded wound on his chest. I looked huge and from how the skin was slightly mangled it was it must've been critical when he got it.

He could die. He could really die.

"Oi." He said, snapping my attention toward him.

"C-can I help?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

His brow wrinkled at the tone of my voice and he almost said something then sighed.

"Can you scratch my back?" He asked. "I can't without reopening anything."

"Um...yea."

He shuffled on the bed, turning carefully so I could reach. I sat on the bed and got to work, being careful around the bandages since I wasn't sure if the pressure would hurt him. He sighed in relief when I finally reached the spot. Guess it'd been itchy for a while. I laughed a little bit, the sound feeble.