Midnight0snowflake

Originally posted in January of 2013 on Quizilla

Name: Yuzuki

Meaning: gentle moon

Life story:

"Isao! Isao!" said a woman as she ran towards her husband, a small, unidentifiable object in her hand that was covered in a blanket.

"What is it?" Isao asked, slightly annoyed that his wife had interrupted his work.

"I was walking in the woods to pick some flowers—" she began.

"—What did I tell you about doing that? It's dangerous!" her husband interrupted.

"I know, I know," she said, just wanting to get to the point, "but when I was picking a flower, I heard a noise." She took the blanket off of what she had been holding to reveal a baby.

"A child?" her husband said. "In the woods." He observed the child, noting her oddly colored hair. "She has orange hair; must be foreign."

"Can we keep her?" asked his wife, the two of them having tried and failed to have a child of their own on several occasions.

Her husband seemed skeptical about this, but when the child blinked her eyes open, having awoken from her sleep, he looked into those sweet brown eyes of hers and gave in. "Fine," he said, "but if someone comes looking for her, we need to give her back."

No one ever came looking for her; for you.

Years passed, and one day your father approached you with a concerned look on his faces.

"We can't deny this anymore," your father said with a sigh. "Your hair has turned from orange to red. Your eyes... your eyes are gold. And I know you've been putting your hair down now to cover your ears. They're pointed! You're not... you're not human."

"So I'm a demon?" you asked.

"No," he replied. "If you were a demon, it probably would have been obvious when you were a baby. I'm guessing you're a half-breed."

"A half-breed?"

"Yes," he said, "that would explain why you were abandoned in the woods.

"You can't stay here anymore. Yoshi is in danger if you're here. I already lost her mother."

"But I won't let anyone hurt her," you said on the verge of tears.

"She's in danger because she's around you," he said.

"Otōchan—"

"Don't call me that!" said the man who was no longer your father, obviously pained with having to do this. "Just... just go."

So you did. Thirteen years old, you were on your own now. He'd said it himself, it was obvious you weren't human, so there was no way you'd successfully be able to blend into human society. And as you later learned, it was obvious to demon that you were not one of them.

But that man you had called your father... he had been right, as much as you hate to admit it. The first month after you turned thirteen you learned that there were two nights each month, one of which you turned fully human, and the other, fully demon. At least, you assumed the latter. You could never remember what happened on nights when there was a full moon. You'd lose awareness and soon after regain it, sometimes having several bodies scattered around you, and being covered in blood.

Years passed, and eventually word spread that the Jewel of Four Souls had returned and shattered. You didn't go searching for it, but you knew that if you happened to come by a few pieces... if you happened to put the pieces back together and restore the Shikon Jewel... you knew what you'd wish for.