Into The Tower - Ep 6

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"This can't be happening again", a distraught male pleaded, "please, doctor! You have to do something". "I warned you, Mr. Patterson", the doctor shrugged her shoulders, refraining from showcasing her disappointment, "her mind is vulnerable. Any reference to the memories she lost could trigger another coma. I am doing the best I can but she has to wake up on her own terms".

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen".

"It may not have been your intention but it happened. As a doctor, it saddens me to see a former patient back on this bed. As a parent, I feel sorry for Aliss. She was trying so hard to be the opposite of who she was that she got lost in the mix of who she really is. There are worse things in this world and she was dealing with that as well so for your sake and the safety of life itself, I hope she wakes up".

Dr. Foster exited the room. Jim buried his face in his hands. "Why didn't I see it?" He asked the sleeping girl, "why didn't I see how much you were hurting?" As expected, he got no answer.

Jim had chased after Aliss that evening. He heard her screams but when he got closer, she was unconscious. Her temperature had dropped drastically so he rushed her to the hospital. They scanned her brain and broke the news that she had relapsed into another coma. Devastated and depressed, Jim stayed by her side the whole day.

                         * * * *

"You have to eat something, Kimmy". Eun Ye begged. Jim had called, informing them of Aliss's condition. Kimmy had been unconsolable ever since. "Why should I?" Kimmy wiped her face and sniffed, "each time I have a fight with her, she ends up in a coma. I am the worse friend ever! I'm not eating until she wakes up". "Please dear, Aliss wouldn't like to see you like this". It fell on deaf ears.

Kimmy wished she had gone back to apologize. Aliss had every right to be tired and she should have been more understanding. "Don't make me call your father young lady", Eun Ye resorted to threatening the girl, "it would break his heart if he saw you like this and we both know, he's your favorite". Unknowingly, Kimmy let out a chuckle and said, "you're actually my favorite even if you are crazy". "You know what they say; the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Kimmy frowned upon remembering that Aliss mentioned the same thing two days ago.

Eun Ye brushed her bangs out of her face and sighed. "Your father would not be happy with what I'm about to tell you", she started, "Kimmy, sit up please". Kimmy obeyed. She hugged her stuffed bear and nodded for her mother to continue. "There is a way we can help Aliss wake up". The girl's ears perked up to show her rapt attention.

"We promised to keep this a secret from you to protect you but I think you're old enough to know", Eun Ye held her daughter's hands, "your father's family comes from a line of great healers". "Healers? You mean doctors?" "No dear, I mean healers. People that were entrusted with magical jewelries for incurable diseases".

Kimmy was silent. Eun Ye recognized the movement of her eyes and frowned, "you knew about it, didn't you?" "No! But I do know that magic exists", she explained, "actually, it's what made Aliss snap". "Oh my goodness! What have you kids been doing behind our backs? Does Jim know?!"

"No, Mom and Aliss doesn't want him to. Please, you can't tell him!"

"I can't believe you, Kimmy! You looked me right in the eyes and you lied! Many times! You girls could have gotten killed".

"I'm sorry. 죄 송 합 니 다  어 머 니 (meaning 'I'm sorry, mother')". The fluency of her Korean always softened her mother's heart. "You are still grounded and no New Year's party at the Gibbons understood?" Eun Ye wore a stern expression. "Ma yes ma! Now show me the jewelry. Aliss needs us!"