Into The Tower - Ep 9

Aliss never enjoyed trickery but after she had lost control, she needed a break. She pleaded with Dr. Foster to tell everyone that she had slipped into another coma even though she only passed for the rest of the night. Hearing her father cry and Kimmy sob broke her heart but she was determined to rest her stressed mind. All she wanted was a full day without responsibilities or worries. As fate would have it, Aliss could not be granted such a wish. 

"Who's they?" The girl inquired. "Relixa and her Pride", Dr. Foster locked the door and shut the blinds, "we have to find a way out of here". "My core glowed earlier and my mark stung", Aliss shook her head and stood tall, "I'm sorry but I can't let them get away with this".

"Aliss, be reasonable. You are one witch against a whole Pride. You wouldn't survive it".

"I have to try. I am a Watcher. If Leati is hurt or even Valar, I need to get to them and the only way is through her".

"I do not agree but I cannot stop you even if I wanted to. Ancient rules", Dr. Foster sighed, "but please be safe. It would crush your father's heart".

The sun had completely set outside and Dr. Foster started fading. "Dr. Foster, what's happening?" Aliss asked worriedly. "I'm a Bogey. We are phantoms but only at night in this world. The Watchers did so to ensure the safety of humans". Aliss stretched her hand and it went inside the doctor's body. "This is cool". Aliss grinned. Dr. Foster cleared her throat and Aliss retracted her hand.

The two snapped their heads towards the door when they heard screams. "I need to go but I'll safe". Aliss did not wait for a response. She unlocked the door and ran out. She was still in the hospital gown and it was mightily uncomfortable. She contemplated using the elevator but the stairs were a wiser choice. She could spy on the danger instead of diving head first into it. Besides, the power had been cut out.

Meanwhile, Avani and Penn were holding their own against the Lynxes. Relixa's Pride had not connected with Aliss so they were all in their half shifted forms. Penn was careful to strike non-lethal parts of their bodies. "What are you doing?!" Avani yelled after she noticed this, "have you forgotten your training? It's either them or us". "You have your ways and I have mine".

Metal clashed with claws and the sound filled the room. Avani did a back flip, landing on the receptionist's desk. Her eyes scanned for the king. Without the leader, the Lynxes would be forced to retreat. She spotted a tall woman struggling with the door of the stairwell. "Animals would always be animals". She laughed to herself before rushing to attack.

Penn saw Avani change focus. He was about to follow when a Lynx jumped on him. Penn held his sword above his face, using all his strength to pry the creature off. The lynx roared and scratched the blade. Penn's arms grew weak so he shouted, "Avani! A little help!"

Avani turned around. She saw how close the creatures claws were from ripping her brother's face off. She checked on the king and in front, she had managed to push the door. Avani had only seconds to make a choice. Helping her brother meant letting the king escape which would leave the girl dead. The information the girl had was important to The Third Way. Avani offered Penn an apologetic look then chased after the king.

Penn's mind was spinning. He had knew that Avani disliked him but leaving him to die was a whole new level. The long fangs of the lynx dripped saliva on nose and mouth. Penn closed his eyes, awaiting the pain.

Suddenly, something whoosh past his ears. The lynx growled and its weight removed from Penn's body. "Penn, are you hurt?" He surprised himself by recognizing that soft voice. "Aliss?" He peeked with one eye. "Of course, it's me", she rolled her eyes sassily, "do I have to punch you to believe me?"