Into The Tower - Ep 8

Penn admired the tooth. He had failed to find the mysterious man again. He literally blinked and he was gone. Penn scolded himself for not asking for his name. He had that problem. He was seated in the lobby monitoring anyone who went up since the nurses on Aliss's floor sent him off.

He bent his head to think for a minute when he heard boots approaching. Penn rolled his eyes and said, "I am certain Mother did not send you to babysit me". Avani smirked and crackled, "baby brother stop being so insecure", she sat beside him, "she didn't send me to you but there has been reports of raided hospitals. I figure before the rest of the team that they are after the girl".

"Who is they?"

"Lynxes. Gear up baby brother. This is going to be fun".

                            * *

Eun Ye remembered praying to God to give her a daughter that will be strong willed. Regret filled her for that choice many times. "Ow!" Kimmy grunted in pain. Eun Ye was dressing the wound on her knuckles with hydrogen peroxide. "Maybe next time you'll think before you act", she looked at her daughter with judgmental eyes, "what got into you back there?"

"Nothing". Kimmy grumbled, refusing to share eye contact. "I know that you're upset it didn't work immediately but that doesn't mean it didn't work at all. Aliss is a strong girl. You should give her more credit".
"I do give her credit. It's just..." She stopped herself from saying more.

Eun Ye furrowed her eyebrows. "Is there something you're not telling me, Kimmy?" She asked. "It's not my secret to share but the world needs Aliss. Leati hasn't been to the hospital all day and he was attacked a few days ago by some people called Red Cloaks". Kimmy felt her mother freeze up. "Mom, is there something you're not telling me?"

Instead of answering, her mother got up and left the room. Kimmy was about to run after her but she returned in split seconds. She was holding her daegu vase that always stood outside her door. Her mother made it clear that the vase was precious and Kimmy was never to look at it more or less, touch.

Eun Ye opened the vase and emptied the contents. Sealed envelopes poured out. Kimmy used her uninjured hand to pick one. "What is all these?" She asked. "These are letters from your brothers".

A metaphoric bombshell fell on Kimmy. "Yoon and Xian? They're alive?" Her voice quivered. "We are so sorry honey", Eun Ye wiped the tears from Kimmy's face while ignoring hers, "they miss you so much. Your father and I send them your pictures every week and they write to you each month. We were only trying to protect you".

Kimmy was too gladdened by the news to be angry about their lies. She tore envelope in her hands. A photo of them both was attached to the letter. Yoon and Xian were identical twins. They had the same light brown of their mother and her brunette hair. Their height was inherited from their father's genes. In the photo, both boys were on the beach; basking in the sun with the widest smiles. They were safe.

Kimmy proceeded to read the letter. From their words, Kimmy knew the letter was from last year. They expressed their sadness over what happened to Aliss and hoped she was coping. "I can't believe they've been safe", she finally spoke, "I thought something horrible had happened". "Not at all my dear", Eun Ye quipped, "your brothers had to stay back to protect our land. The Watchers entrusted a special key in their care and we swore an oath to always have a Zhou on the land. It was too dangerous keeping you three together so we left".

The mention of the key sprung up an idea. "Mom, the museum! There are several relics in there. Maybe one of them can help us get the pendant working". "Good idea Kimmy Su!" Eun Ye stood up, "it's getting dark. We need to leave now".