Into The Folk - Ep 3

"I can't believe you wore the first collection of Gravy's denim boots", Kimmy's lips were parted in awe, "what are you doing back here?" Meadow shrugged, "I needed a break". Was her short answer. "From what? Being totally adored?" Kimmy scoffed, "even if you needed a break, why not an exclusive trip to an island?" "Pine Ridge is a very quiet town. I may have fans hounding me now but in two weeks, no one would remember". "In other words, we're a bunch of boring townies. Thanks".

Meadow scanned the cafeteria as she ate. Apart from a few students sneaking photos of her, it was a normal lunch time in Pine Ridge High. "Where's Aliss?" She suddenly asked. "Aliss?" Kimmy almost choked on her water, "she-um-she's not coming for lunch". "Why?" Meadow narrowed her eyebrows suspiciously. "She texted me saying she wasn't in the mood and she had to meet the counselor. The school board is making her see him".

"Why?"

"She had to move back in with her Mom. They don't want her acting out like before which I think is absolutely bogus".

"Why would she move back in with the Mom after what happened last time?"

"Aliss had no choice and what happened last time shouldn't even matter". "Oh really?" Meadow crossed her arms. "Yeah", Kimmy replied, "Aliss barely remembers who she was. Instead of trying to control how she acts, I think everyone should just back off and let her live". "The past may not matter to you anymore but not all of us can forget how Aliss hurt us". Meadow picked up her tray and stormed off, leaving Kimmy confused.

She had not meant to snap but the harsh reality of being back in the town was catching up to her. Meadow navigated the empty halls to her locker to get her bag and books for the next class. "Well well well, look what the wind dragged in", a teasing voice bellowed behind her, "you thought you could outrun judgment, didn't you Lnglise?"

Meadow rolled her eyes, slammed her locker and turned to walk away. Fushia pink dust blew into her eyes and her feet refused to move. "Not so fast", the male appeared in front of her, "I don't want any trouble but you and I know that I can't keep your presence a secret". "Do whatever you want, Onyx", Meadow said through gritted teeth, "but there's a new Watcher and once I make a plea for my family, the past wouldn't matter".

Onyx laughed, shaking his head, "a new Watcher? That is your escape plan?" He trained his similarly light green eyes on hers, "everyone knows the Watchers show no mercy when it comes to exacting punishment. What your parents did is inexcusable and Mother has run out of patience".

Onyx snapped his fingers and the dust faded, "do yourself a favor", he whispered in her ears, "turn your parents in and you don't have to share in their fate. I'll let you think about it. Met me in creek on Friday at dusk. Make the right choice, Meadow".

He gave her a final smirk before leaving. Meadow watched his platinum blond hair round a corner and her breath returned. Her head throbbed from the pressure. Her Mom had assured her that it was safe to return yet she had not completed the day without receiving threats. I need to find the Watcher she concluded.

                           * *

"You're going to be okay". Aliss nodded at the brown haired woman whose ear was dangling at the side of her head. The woman sobbed silently, still shivering from shock. Aliss shot some sparks into the ear and it stitched itself back to her head. The woman thanked her profusely then crawled to were the other passengers were curled up.

"I think she was the last person". Aliss said wiping sweaty off her forehead. Her energy was almost gone from all the healings she had to so. She was disappointed that some of them had been dismembered permanently but magic could only do so much for humans.