Into The Day - Ep 4

"Let me go!" Aliss struggled against his grip. Lucian released her when they were safely in his quarters. "You said Tabino could only be read by witches", she pointed an accusing finger at him, "I can't believe I trusted you". "So, yes. I lied but I needed you to give him the book". Lucian said. "What?"

"With the book in his hands, your family has nothing to worry about. He believe he's won".

"But he has won! He won before the fight even began!" "Or has he?" Lucian smiled, "wait a moment". He left the room and Leati kicked the ground. "How many times do I have to tell you that he cannot be trusted?" The Lynx yelled. "Hey, chill!" Penn put a hand over his chest, "this isn't Aliss's fault".

"It wouldn't matter in a few days whose fault it was! He's going to bring an army to this realm. We can't fight him. How do we fight an army?"

"We'll figure something out. There has to be a way. The Watchers are too smart to create a weapon that powerful and not have a kill switch".

"Even if there was a way to destroy the book, the only people who have that answer are dead". Penn's tongue was tied. He was starting to see how bad the situation was. Aliss shook her head in shame, "he was right", she said in a small voice, "the Sisters of Life made a mistake. I'm just a foolish child". Jim took her hand, "he was wrong", he said, "you aren't a mistake. You're my daughter and what you did...I can't even say thank you".

"No need to thank me, Dad. You would have done the same for me. At least, I think you would".

"Of course, I would. No questions asked". Aliss faked a smile, wondering if he was still lying to her about the adoption or he was clueless.

"I hope no limbs were lost in my absence". Lucian returned with a book in his hand. He wiped the dust off it and showed them. "No way". Kimmy gasped. "There are two books?" Aliss asked, reaching to hold it. Lucian stepped back, "you can't touch it. Not yet at least", he said, "whatever intuition Kimmy Su had in the cave was correct. Our snake friend told me about the entrance and I decided to make the trip. The book you found in the park was a decoy".

All of them were numbed to silence. "But he read the book. He believed the spells were real. It can't be fake". Aliss argued. "The Watchers are the craftiest beings in the known universe. They knew that someone could get their hands on the book but the plan was in two ways", he explained, "the spells in the decoy are real but it is temporary. When you, Aliss, touched that book, you activated the spell".

"What spell?"

"A twining spell. If you touch this book, the other would turn to a pile of ash and this seemingly normal book would become the Leaves of Night".

"Whoa! How did you know and why didn't you tell me?"

"Because if I did, he would have seen right through your lie. I needed you to believe that it was real so that he could too".

"Then give me the book so that I can stop him".

"Not now. If you destroy the fake, he will storm every home till he gets his hands on you.  Remember what I said about you being captured".

Aliss retracted and furrowed her brows. "I don't understand. You are a Daemon. You've had the Leaves of Night, my spell book and a fairy's wand. You could have bent the world to your will. Why help me? What's in it for you?" Lucian chuckled, "what's in it for me?" He repeated the question, "That is a big question. Let's just say that I love breaking the rules but only when there are rules to be broken. You are the last witch and without you, the Creatures of the Night have no control. It isn't much fun running the game of deceit without having foes to play with". "Uh-huh", the girl wasn't fooled by his response.