Into The Day - Ep 5

Penn had set his plan in motion. He walked to the castle doors and knocked three times. The large wooden frames retracted and he stepped in. Considering how he resigned, he expected the looks and murmurs that he was welcomed with.

His attention was undivided as he marched to his mother's office. Arguing voices could be heard from first bend of the hallway. "We are no better than those monsters if we help him", he identified the speaker as his sister, Avani, "he has a new weapon. He will wipe us out".

"When he rains fire on earth, we will be safe. Would you rather all of us perish?" Ezlynn countered.

"We have a code. Without it, we are nothing. I'm sorry, mother but I can't allow it. If you won't fight the Daemon, I will".

"You and what army? Avani, do not force me to remand you to these walls. I thought you were more logical but it seems you and your brother are the same".

"Penn and I are nothing alike!" She screeched before sighing, "but he was wise. He took a side that didn't want the world to end. Word returned that the Watcher is alive".

"What? And you only think to inform me now?"

"What can I say? It slipped my mind. My guess, she's already found a way to destroy the Daemon. Her fury will not end there. I personally do not want to be here when she arrives". As much as he hated to admit it, Avani was right.

"So you want to run away like your coward brother did?" Penn decided to stop listening at this juncture. Aliss was going to storm the place soon and he needed to be in position. He marched into Ezlynn's office with a poker face.

"Mother, Avani", he greeted, "I have taken a lot of time to consider your offer and I accept". "Baby brother..." "Don't call me that!" He snapped with his brown eyes stone cold, "I stand by what I said about us being family. I am only here to serve as a soldier". "That is wonderful news", Ezlynn pulled him into a short embrace, "I knew you would come to your senses. You were always more lax but goal oriented". Avani scoffed and stormed out. "Your room is just as you left it". Ezlynn said, smiling. She had spoken ill of him but that was only because his absence hurt her.

Penn went up to the tower, feeling nostalgic. Months ago, this castle was his home and the Red Cloaks were his family. His bare room held most of his fondest memories. "You and your boyfriend seemed ready to kill me the last time we met", Avani leaned against the door, "why would you turn your back on him now?"

"There is a war coming. Which side do you think he'll choose?"

"I wouldn't say I didn't warn you but coming back here isn't better. We're working for the Daemon now. I sure mother told you".

"She did but I don't think mother plans on keeping her end of the deal. We have to trust her decision".

Avani stayed silent for a minute. The guilt she felt had been covered under other emotions yet it could not be diminished. "Penn, I'm sorry about..." "About leaving me to die?" He turned to face her, "there's no explanation that could make me forgive you. That was the second time, Avani. When you and the others left me in the coast, a Lynx saved me and when you left me in the hospital, Aliss saved me. I don't want to hear anything".

"Okay", Avani nodded, "I'll respect that but for what it's worth, I'm happy to see my baby brother again". She walked out and Penn could finally breathe. What happened to my sister? Was there something he didn't know? The male made a little trip back to his mother's office.

He knocked on the opened door and entered. "Penn, do you need anything?" Ezlynn asked going through some paperwork. "Avani was acting strange. Did something happen to her?" He shrugged with his hands in his pocket. "Oh. She'll be fine", Ezlynn waved a hand nonchalantly, "we got a report that the Boston Way put up a fight with the Daemon and he killed them all, your father included. I always knew that Igos was a horrific leader but to let such happen...shame".