Into The Onion - Ep 7

Six weeks later...

"Eomma, have you seen my red boots?" "They're in the attic! You put them next to the rest of boots!" "Oh. Thank you" Kimmy knew she had to return to school. Her wounds had not healed but she knew Aliss would come back from the dead to haunt her if she failed eleventh grade again. She had scattered her room and their whole house during the first week of grieving causing both she and her mother to scavenge for all their belongings.

"Ma, where is my backpack?" "It's here!" Kimmy walked to the kitchen where her Mom was making a sandwich since those ingredients were the only ones in reach. "Check the cupboard. Be careful not to break my saucers". Eun Ye studied her daughter. She couldn't care less if her daughter failed her grade. If Kimmy showed even the slightest discomfort, she would charge her to stay home. "Got it", the girl showed the black bag, "I think my brush is Dad's office. I'll go get it".

It took her two hours but Kimmy was finally ready. "Remember, you can call me anytime in the day. I'll come pick you if I have to". Eun Ye said once they were inside the car. "It'll be okay. And I promise to call if I need anything". "Good"

                           *

"Have a good day, honey!" "Legit embarrassing me, Mom". Kimmy complained. "If you don't say you love me, I'll make it worse". "Saranghae!" Kimmy made a heart with her fingers. "I love you too. Bye". Eun Ye blew her a kiss and drove off. "Is it me", she chuckled, "or is Mrs. Zhou crazy today, Ali...?" Her smile faded. This isn't gonna be easy. She sighed and went into school.

Students poured into the hallways at the ringing of the bell. No one stared at Kimmy and she took that as a good sign. She remembered how lonely she felt moving around school when Aliss was in a coma. She had tried calling Meadow or Onyx but Onyx only joined the school to pass across a message and Meadow had agreed to join the Court. The Folk were peaceful creatures but that peace was achieved from having the least communication with humans possible. She was forced to withdraw. Kimmy Su was truly alone.

"Excuse me?" Someone tapped her shoulder. "Yes?" Kimmy turned around. A girl with rose quartz colored hair and thick round glasses stood hugging her books. "I'm supposed to find a girl called Kimmy Su Zhou but no one's willing to help". The girl said. "You're new here, aren't you?"

"Yeah. I'm Rora Kim. I joined last month. I told my grandfather to wait for a new year but he insisted I joined mid semester. Everything's so confusing".

"Sorry that you're having a hard time. Give it another week. The school will warm up to you".

"Thanks", the petite girl smiled, "you're the first nice person I've met". "Then you need to meet more people", Kimmy laughed, "and lucky for you, I know all the tricks of High school. Can I see your schedule?" "Sure" Rora removed a paper from the books in her hand and gave Kimmy. "Yikes! You have to transfer out of Mr. Dell's class. He is a certified loner and would gladly fail you for the stupidest things and your hair isn't exactly subtle".

"But it's natural".

"He doesn't know that. Take Miss. Denver's class. A...friend of mine loved it. Contrary to popular beliefs, history is awesome".

"Okay. Anything else?"

"Coach Grogski is a pain but he basically gives out good grades. Use gym for extra credit and don't go close to the Cheer squad. Tryouts are over and even if they weren't, the captain is loony. She will eat you whole. Join the debate club or the science club".

"Wow! You really do know all the tricks. Thanks like so much". "Anytime", Kimmy gave her back the schedule, "we ABC's gotta stick together, right?" "Right", Rora was about to leave when she slapped her forehead, "I totally got sidetracked. The principal said it was urgent to speak to Kimmy and he didn't want to announce it because of recent issues. Do you know where I can find her?" "You're talking to her. Kimmy Su Zhou, nice to meet you". "Oh my! Today must be my lucky day. Nice to meet you too, Kimmy. The principal, now". "Right. Bye". Kimmy went to the principal's office in a prepared mind for the pitiful looks and sentiments she was to be welcomed with.