Into The Folk - Ep 9

"So, you're telling me that your parents scammed innocent humans to build their wealth?" Aliss's frown deepened. "I know it sounds bad but they feel awful. You'll get a message to head the Court soon. Please, you can't let us lose our wings", Meadow begged, "I'll do anything, Aliss".

"You can't beg your way out of this", Aliss said sternly, "your parents violated a big law and they did it several times hoping that they'd never get caught. Is that why you left Pine Ridge? You thought the Folk would forget?"

"We were hoping that the time away would temper their anger. I mean it, Aliss, my parents have changed".

"I'm literarily standing in your parent's mansion. The first step in remorse is returning everything that was stolen", Aliss emphasized, "let's not forget that she tried to drug me a minute ago. Your parents haven't changed and you know it. There's another reason why you don't want them to lose their wings. What is it?"

Meadow sighed, "I know my parents are awful but we need all the Pixies alive", she explained, "surely you know there aren't any fairies alive..." "There are no fairies? First, the Elves went extinct, now fairies?" Aliss was confused. What is happening to the Folk? "The extinction of the Elves made it easy for all the Fairies to be killed. Our Folk lives on fairy magic and with them gone, we barely have enough dust. Without our wings, our dust would fade and the Pixies would eventually all go extinct".

The bushy haired girl stroked her chin, "the Leprechauns are almost gone, the Hobgoblins went haywire yesterday, a Sprite and Goblins were sent to kill me...your family might have nothing to do with all this but something is wrong with the Folk", she told Meadow, "I plan on finding out what and you're gonna help me".

"How?"

"Call our 'friend' and tell him we want to meet tomorrow. I can't wait for Friday. If someone or something is targeting the Folk, I have to stop them now". Meadow nodded in agreement. She was still shocked that Aliss was the new Watcher but at least, she was on their side for now.

                         * * * *

Aliss called her mother and said she was sleeping over at Kimmy's. Tess had plans with a hot Russian man so she did not bother to confirm the lie. Since her bike got busted, reaching the woods without the Tower was stressful.

"Heard Kimmy ran off to her death in China?" A voice said from behind her. "Kimmy is stronger than you think and I can sense you, remember? I know you miss her". She teased in return. "No, I don't", Leati snapped, "besides, I've been too busy trying to track down every member of Relixa's Pride. Rumors have it that they have a new king but they haven't moved back to the coast because Red Cloaks are waiting for them".

Aliss quirked her eyebrows, "I thought they would rejoin you once Relixa was gone". She said. "Very few did", he answered, "she planted deep ideas into their heads. Her imprisonment won't change their minds". "Maybe I should find them. They wouldn't counter a Watcher".

"Your hands are full with the Folk, focus on that. I still can't believe the Hobgoblins went rabid. They are usually friendly. Whoever spelled them has a bigger plot. I'll handle the Pride".

"I'm trust you, Leati. And about the Folk", she faces him with a serious expression, "do you have any idea why someone would want them gone?" "No idea at all. We all assumed the realm of humans was too harsh for their kind which is why they were dying. Are you sure this Meadow girl is telling the truth about the Fairies?"

"Why do think she's lying?"

"Fairies, Witches and Daemons are the only Creatures of the Night with strong magic. Fairies represent good, Daemons are on the bad side and Witches kept the balance which is why they became Watchers. Killing all the Fairies without anyone suspecting a thing isn't evil. It's diabolic. No one has that power. Not in this realm at least".