Atonement

(A/N: Those sons of bitches at Marvel Studios stole the MODOFK joke I made months ago. DAMN YOU, FEIGE!!!)

Spider-Man flies through the Norwegian sky in the team's Quinjet in search for a suitable place to land. Unbeknownst to Parker: he is spotted. Of all the times to be unlucky: he picks now to get spotted by one of the mercenaries at Taskmaster's school. Said student barrels towards the main building and addresses the self-titled headmaster.

Mercenary: Headmaster! An unidentified aircraft just entered our airspace!

Taskmaster: Military grade?

Mercenary: Yes, Headmaster.

Taskmaster: Well then activate the anti-air turrets, numbnuts!

Mercenary: Y- yes, headmaster.

The killer-to-be speedily retreats from Taskmaster's staggeringly large office and runs towards one of two slender towers with missile units perched upon the roof. The mercenary ascends two flights of stairs and activates the automated turret. Two missiles burst from the turret and begin to scream towards Spider-Man and his Quinjet.

Spider-Man: Heat seekers?! Come on, man!

Despite doing his best to outmanoeuvre the warheads: Parker was better with webs than behind the wheel. The missiles strike the hull of the jet and sent it careening towards the beach where it strikes the ground and scraped the coastline, coming to a halt just shy of the water.

Mercenary: Target down.

With dwindling mental strength: Spider-Man tears off his seat belt and stumbles his way out off the flaming vessel. He falls, exhausted, on his back beside the wreck as his mind blacks out. A matter of minutes later: he comes around only to spit the metal wings of Falcon in the sky.

Falcon: SPIDER-MAN!

Elsewhere, Kitty, Y/n, Bucky and Gwen rendezvous a small distance from Taskmaster's school with War Machine monitoring them in the skies.

Kitty Pryde: We'll be in and out, get a lay of the land and then get you so you can help us plant charges.

Y/n: Be careful in there.

Kitty Pryde: If anything happens I can phase us both out of there.

Winter Soldier: We'll watch the perimeter for you.

Gwenpool: There's something off about this...

Y/n taps into his coms unit, allowing Gwen to stoke their shared concerns.

Y/n: Colonel, any word on Spider-Man?

War Machine: Falcon hasn't called in. We can't afford to get distracted, I'm gonna see if I can cause a distraction to make this easier for you.

Winter Soldier: Be careful, Colonel. You weren't supposed to do this alone.

War Machine: We have to adapt, Barnes. Keep an eye on the perimeter.

With that, Rhodes signs off and flies by the perimeter of the school. The four on the ground part ways as Kitty and Gwen phase into Taskmaster's walls. This leaves Y/n and Bucky to patrol the streets, containing any external trouble. The minutes begin to add up and the silence only develops in its uncomfortableness.

Winter Soldier: When S.H.I.E.L.D. purged HYDRA's code from my mind: I told them I never wanted to serve again.

Y/n: So, why are you here?

Winter Soldier: I did a lot of bad things under HYDRA's spell, I owe a debt to the world. Once I've cleared it... I'm done.

Y/n: How long is that gonna take?