11. The Pawn & The Queen

Daemon stood outside, Caraxes behind him, Jace watched silently, completely still as Ser Stefan and Ser Laurent stood before them.

'' You swore an oath as Knights of the King's Guard.'' Daemon reminded them, hand on the hilt of his sword as he stared down at them.

''As do all who wear the White Cloak, my Prince.'' Stefan answered

''To whom?''

''I swore first to King Jehaerys, my Prince. And then, to his grace, King Viserys, when he succeeded him.' Stefan informed him.

''Do you acknowledge the true line of succession?'' Daemon questioned

''Yes."

"Yes, my prince.'' They both agreed.

''Do you recall how King Viserys named his heir before his death?" Daemon questioned. He hesitated.

''Princess Rhaenyra." Stefan answered.

"I'm grateful for your long service to the Crown. So I'm presenting you with a choice." Daemon informed them confidently. Caraxes shrieked from behind him stepping closer.

''I swear anew your oath to Rhaenyra as your queen, to Prince Jacaerys as the heir to the Iron Throne. Or if you support the usurper speaker now, then you will have a clean and honorable death." Daemon went on and Caraxes seemed to smile as he brought his large face down to Daemon, his eyes gleaming as he stared at the knights. ''But if you choose treachery, if you swear fealty now only to later turn your cloaks, know that you will die... Screaming."

+

''Princess, let us help you.''

''Princess, please.''

''You shouldn't do this alone, Princess.''

''Let us help you.'' Rhaenyra moaned and groaned she refused to let the handmaidens help her, a gush of blood seeped to the ground beneath her feet, she pulled and pulled the head free the body coming next and it dropped to the ground as well. Rhaenyra whimpered out as she collapsed to her knees.

+

The council wanted their queen to remarry it was for the best of the realm if they showed a strong front building alliance. She knew they were right she knew she should but she had been forced into too many marriages to ever get married again just for someone else's pleasure and not her own. Six husbands. One she loved. Viserys died and she didnt want to marry again.

"No " Davina corrected.

Davina did not say another word, but she said it with all the strength she had the strength she would have liked to use so many years before for her first wedding. She was but a princess at the whims of ithers. Now she was the queen. She wouldnt remarry. She had the power to say no. To make them listen.

But they did not listen. Some of the houses had already chose their sides others wanted something in return for their allegiance. And it brought back terrible memories. Seeing the marriage contracts before her.

~

"Hi daddy." Davina had said softly so many years ago.

"Daddy, oh you haven't called me that in years." Baelon remarked as Davina sat next to him leaning into him. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Honey..."

"I miss mom."

"Me too." Baelon admitted.

"You can't ever marry again." Davina informed him and Baelon choked out a laugh. "I'm serious. You are not allowed to replace her."