12. Hearts Never Break Even

''What is our standing?'

'We have 30 knights, 100 crossbowmen, and 300 men-at-arms. Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend, but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired.''

'' I've sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch. I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak to the numbers.'' Daemon remarked.

''We already have declarations from Kelty, Gale, and Staunton, Massey, Darkland, and Barremont." Daemon looked around at those loyal to him, this wasn't enough to beat Davina let alone the whole of the capital.

' The Vale will not turn cloak against their own kin." Rhaenyra informed them. "Aemma was Arryn, My children share their blood." She said confidently.

''River Run was always a close friend to your grandsire, Your Grace. With Prince Daemon's acquiescence...''

''I've already sent ravens to Lord Grover.'' Rhaenyra remarked.

''Lord Grover is fickle and easily swayed. He will need to be convinced of the strength of our position and that we will support him should it come to war.''

''I'm going to treat with him myself.'' Daemon corrected smugly.

''What of Storm's End and Winterfell?''

''There has never lived a Stark who forgot an oath, and with how Stark the North will follow."

"The northern men love Davina though." Jace spoke up. "Perhaps we should just talk to her."

"Ha." Daemon laughed out. "There is no talking. Only war."

+

"Grover Tully is old and sick, it will not be a long sacrifice, just a wedding and a bedding and who knows-"

"Otto I will remove your tongue." Davina warned.

"Many houses would graciously come to our side swear allegiance your son-" otto went on.

"My side my family you are the hand of the king but not for long if you keep questioning my decisions." Davina sneered. "What I want what I need... Gods you don't understand you've never liked me. You want me gone but my place is here with my family." Davina declared. "Mine. Where is your family otto?"

"Mother..." aegon whispered.

A shiver went through Davinas spine, she was not even able to hide it. She swallowed down the bile rising in her throat. She would do anything for her children, she was not a stranger to duty and sacrifice. She had been dealing with the world of the crown for forever.

And yet, she felt suffocated. She loved her freedom. She could not be someones plaything. She was the queen. She would not be pushed around.

"Your grace we need to act-"

"No" Davina repeated sternly.

"Your grace, if not Lord Tully, you still have to remarry. Aemond should be betrothed to Lord Baratheon's daughter, Aegon should find a suitable queen- Alyssa perhaps it can be done quick. But an offer to dorne or winterfell. Unions for your children will secure-" Otto went on but davina shook her head. "we have many more unions to propose for you. All the great lords want a queen." Davina couldnt breathe. She wouldnt do this to her family. "There is also Visenya and Baelon-"

"They are children!" Davina declared. "I wint put them through unions. Tear them away from me! I wont. I refuse. They deserve to be happy."

"-but you will have to do your part as well... especially if the children remain unwed. You need to-"

"No. No. I refuse. I wont force them into unions as I was." Davina shouted but the council was already agreeing to it. They thought it the only way. "No... no..." eachh time she said it her word was a little more desperate.

No. No. Only now her words her gone a lump in her throat. No she thought to herself.

She was a warrior a mother a queen. Yet right now she felt like a littlw girl again with no way and forced into unions with strangers. She thought she was strong but she was weak. Seamus moved to her side grabbing her hand.

Aegon and Aemond shared a hesitant look. Aegon was the king but this union that the council wanted he would not do that to his mother. He knew they looked to him wanting him to deem it. He was the king but he looked to his mother her face pale. Her gaze set on the table before she looked up at the council.

"I will do what is necessary" davina declared through clenched teeth. "After Daemon is dead."

+
"Lord Boros Baratheon will need to be reminded of his father's promises." Rhaenyra reminded them and a the pieces were slowly put on the map, territories that should be there if those were truly loyal. "And What news from Driftmark?'' Rhaenyra pondered

'Lord Corlys sails for Dragonstone.' Rhaenys informed hier.

'To declare for his queen?'' Rhaenyra urged.

''The Velaryon fleet is in my husband's yoke. He decides where they sail." Rhaenys informed them.

''We shall pray for both you and your husband's support. Just as we prayed nightly for the Sea Snakes' return to good health. There's no port on the narrow sea we dare to make an enemy of the Velaryon fleet." Jace told her kindly. Daemon rolled his eyes. What a kiss ass. He had gone soft from his time at the capital that wouldnt do.

''And our enemies?' Rhaenyra questioned.

''We have no friends among the Lannisters. Tyland has served the Hand too long to turn against him. And Otto Hightower needs the Lannister fleet." Daemon reminded him. "But they don't love Davina either."

'Without the Lannisters, we're not like to find any allies west of the Golden Tooth." Erryk hissed.

''no..." Daemon agreed

''The Riverlands are essential, Your Grace.''

''Pray forgive my bluntness, Your Grace, but talk of men is moot. Your cause owns a power... that has not been seen in this world since the days of old Valyria. Dragons!''

''The Reds have dragons. They have three adults, by my count. We have Syrax, Caraxes, and Meleys. The princes have Vermax, Arrax and Tyraxes. Baela has Moondancer." Daemon reminded everyone.

''Daemon, none of our dragons have been to war." Rhaenyra reminded him stiffly but he just shrugged it off.

''There are also unclaimed dragons. Seasmoke still resides on Driftmark. Vermithor and Silverwing dwell on the Dragon Mound. Still riderless. Then there are the three wild dragons, all of whom nest here." Daemon went on. He was skilled in war.

''And who is to ride them?" Rhaenyra hissed not liking him making the commands. Yes rhaenyra wanted daemon to have everything he dreamed of and more but she was the queen now.

''Dragonstone has 13 to their four. I also have a score of eggs incubating in the Dragon Mound." Dameon went on.

''No.' Jace said softly. He wouldnt burn his family at the capital. He would risk his dragon and his family for Daemons vengeance.

''We need a place to gather, a toehold, large enough to house a sizable host. Here, at Harrenhal, we cut off the west," Daemon put a piece on the map. '-surround King's Landing with the dragons, and we could have every green head mounted on spikes before the fucking moon turns.''

"Stop!" Jace demanded "we should speak with my grandmother, none of this needs-"

"Grown ups are talking." Daemon told him shoving him back.

"Luke, get Joff and I will get our dragons. We are leaving." Jace demanded leading him out of the room.

+

Davina made the superior decision saying that she would kill Damon and she wouldn't have to marry and her son could be king and they would deal with Rhaenyra and her treachery.

Davina was going to end things once and for all she needed to she had to she had to get rid of Daemon it was the only thing she could think of that made any sense in her mind. Yet she couldnt make sense of what she needed to do.

But hearts never do break even.