21. Broken Wings

"We need to take to the skies." Aegon declared. 

"We need to focus on holding the capital." Seamus corrected. 

Aemond was a mess, Davina was his favorite person in the whole world. And she was missing. 

"Your mother is fine, have faith." Seamus begged. 

"He's right, your mother is smart, he is resilient." Criston agreed. 

"Clever as the devil but twice as pretty." 

Visenya held tight to Seamus hand.  At ten, her and Baelon we the youngest of Davina's children but they all seemed to revert back to toddlers crying out for Davina. 

Seamus and Criston understood, Davina was their best friend and she seemed to drop off the face of the earth. 

+

"Any ravens?" Davina offered hopefully. 

"Sorry Davina." Cregan countered and she sighed, defeated and she felt deflated until she saw a hot puff of breath in the distance. Davina took a hesitant step closer. "Davina I wouldnt recommend wandering in your current state." Cregan remarked following after her. 

"Fury?" Davina called out. "FURY?" she desperately needed a win right now. She needed Fury. 

"Davina- please just wait, I will check it out." Cregan assured. 

"Fury!" Davina declared limping towards her dragon her first ever baby. Fury emerged through the trees and he scowled back at Cregan. 

"Gods Davina!" Cregan shouted stumbling back at the sight of Fury, he had not seen a dragon up close before and Fury was a beautiful beast. 

"Oh my boy!" Davina hugged him tight. "I missed you so much! I was so worried about you. Damn that Caraxes and Daemon, fuck 'em both!" She decided as she held tight to Fury. "I am so glad you are alright baby! You honestly have no idea how worried I was, I was telling Cregan and Sara-" Cregan stared back at her, she was speaking to Fury as though he understood her, maybe he did, what did Cregan know about dragons? Nothing, he knew nothing about dragons. Davina's smile fell thought as she looked to his wing. 

"Oh baby your wing is hurt" she looked to the tattered tail wing. "Baby-" she ran a hand down his back. He snapped back at her and Cregans hand went to his blade.

"Your grace-" Cregan warned.  

"Dont hurt my fury." Davina demanded.

"He was going to-"

"He wouldnt hurt me." Davina corrected honestly, "He is hurt, he needs me, he wouldnt hurt me."

"He just-" Cregan countered and Davina sent him a silencing look and he put away his blade.

 "Let me look." Davina requested and Fury grumbled. "Don't be a baby let me see it."

"I know it hurts, Caraxes fucked up your beautiful tail

"I know it hurts, Caraxes fucked up your beautiful tail." Davina rasped. 

"Davina-" Cregan begged. 

"Fury wont hurt me or you." Davina assured. "But best keep your distance just in case." Davina offered. "For your sake not mine. As I said, he wont hurt me." She examined the tail and Cregan moved cautiously to her Fury's gaze followed him as he cautiously knelt beside her. "He wont be able to fly without a proper tail." Davina realized. "He..." she sighed leaning gently into Fury. "You are still perfect baby, we will find another way home, you and me." Fury huffed a breath and Davina felt like a shit mother. She couldnt protect her dragon, her first born baby and her human babies were at the capital right now and she wasnt there to protect them. 

"Might I?" Cregan questioned. 

"Fury, dont snap his head off." Davina instructed, Fury continued to grumble. "Go on." Davina agreed. "But be fucking gentle Stark." she added. 

"I can be gentle." Cregan assured as he carefully reached out touching his tail, Fury growled and Davina ran a hand over his back telling him sweet nothings, Cregan watched them a moment longer before he looked to the tail fin, only one side was ruined, the other still secure, Fury could fly again with help.

"I could probably make something for your Dragon I'm pretty handy." Cregan offered. "For his tail, a replacement tail." 

"You think you could do that?" Davina questioned. 

"I can try, I would be gald to try." Cregan assured. 

"Thank you... if you made this, tail... he could fly again?" Davina needed clarification. 

"In theory. Yes." Cregan agreed. 

"You hear that Fury? Cregan is going to make you a new tail!" Davina exclaimed. 

"Davina?" Cregan looked to Fury's back, shimmering black scales. "The saddle... Why doesn't your Dragon have a saddle? Don't they normally have saddles?"

"I never needed one with fury before. Besides he doesnt like them." Davina corrected

"wow that's wow." Cregan offered

"You still wanna try and make some thing he doesn't like things on them fair warning." Davina added. "But if you can fly you will deal." Davina assured Fury and he grumbled an answer and Cregan was confident that Fury did understand Davina now. 

"Is he gonna kill me if I try and help him?" Cregan pondered. Davina hesitated, he stared back at her. "You are supposed to say he will not eat me go right ahead and be super helpful considering all the shit I already did for you and you don't like saying thank you do you know that?"

"Yeah I've heard that before." she agreed with a cheeky grin. "Get us in the air and I will do you one better than a thank you, I will give you whatever you want."