forty

"So," the Doctor starts. "You want Kaden and Jenny on another trip?"

Belle nods. She's very excited to see her other daughter and Kaden. She hadn't seen them in quite some time, and that video the Doctor made, made her want to see Jenny.

Amy comes into the console room at that exact moment, asking if they were somewhere she was expecting him to take them to before. The TARDIS had landed somewhere, and the Doctor dragged Belle out to check if he had landed in the correct place.

Suddenly, there's an explosion and it sends the Doctor backwards, Belle landing on top of him. The TARDIS vanishes slowly behind them, and Belle gasps, getting off of the Doctor. He looks at her worriedly. "Amy!" The Doctor and Belle shout after her, but it's too late. The TARDIS was gone.

•••

"I love you!" is what the Doctor and Belle were greeted with when they knocked on someone's door. The person looks down to see that it wasn't who he was expecting. Belle felt bad, and felt the Doctor squeeze her hand. She thought of the time that he told her that, not too long ago.

"We love you too!" Belle giggles. The man turns embarrassed as the Doctor goes up closer.

"Well, that's good, because I'm your new lodger. She's my girlfriend that'll be living with me for the time being. Do you know, this is going to be easier than I expected," the Doctor says. Belle rolls her eyes as he takes the fluffy pink keys from the man.

"But I only put the advert up today. I didn't put my address," the man tells them. He looks at her, realising he's heard an American accent. "Are you american?"

"No," Belle says as the Doctor says, "yes."

"She says 'no,' but she really means 'yes,' because she grew up in america, now she's living in London with me," the Doctor tells him. The man nods. "Well, aren't you lucky I came along? More lucky than you know. Less of a young professional, more of an ancient amateur, but frankly I'm an absolute dream. We are," the Doctor nudges Belle.

"Hang on a minute, mate. I don't know if I want you two staying. And give me back those keys. You can't have those," the man tells him.

"Yes, quite right. Have some rent."

The Doctor hands the man a paper take-away bag with lots of twenty pound notes in it.

"That's probably quite a lot, isn't it? Looks like a lot. Is it a lot? I can never tell," the Doctor adds after. Belle rolls her eyes as he continues rambling on.

"You're rambling sweetie," Belle tells him, kissing his cheek as he tells the man to not spend all the money on sweets, then says he likes sweets.

The Doctor gives the man a couple of air kisses about six inches from each cheek. The man gives Belle a look like, "who does he think he is?" Belle would like to know that too.

"That's how we greet each other nowadays, isn't it? I'm the Doctor. Well, they call me the Doctor. I don't know why. I call me the Doctor, too. Still don't know why," the Doctor introduces himself.

"Craig Owens. The Doctor?" Craig asks him.

"Yep," the Doctor says, then looks up the staircase curiously and says, "who lives upstairs?"

"Just some bloke," says Craig. Belle can tell he wants to know her name.

"What's he look like?" The Doctor asks.

"Normal. He's very quiet," says Craig. He looks at Belle. "What's your name? You seem like the normal type."

"My name is Belle," Belle introduces herself. The Doctor looks at her.