Chapter 7

After I knock my mom answers the door.
"Oh my gosh hello! I missed my kids come in come in!"
We walk in and take our shoes off. My dad hates it when people keep our shoes on in the house.

"Um mom, this is Dom"
He smiles and holds out his hand.
"Ello. Nice to meet you"
She smiles wide and shakes his hand. "Hello. I've heard a lot about you. Oh my what happened to your foot?"
"Oh I hurt it at my shoe last night. But it's alright your daughter took great care of me. She took as much pride taking care of me as she does with any other patient of hers" I smile at his comment then look at my mom.

"She gets that from me I hope" she laughs. "I'm a doctor too. Of course not as good as her though."

"Oh mom you're just as good as I am."

"No no. Oh my I'm being rude aren't I? Come sit down in the living room. Would you guys like anything to drink?"

"No we're good. We got drinks on our way here."

"Oh alright"

She leads us into the living room. I sit next to Dom on the couch and I sit in the middle so I'm between River and him. My mom sits on the couch across from the one we are on. Shortly after my dad walks in the door.

"Holy fuck I hate my job. Remind me again why I decided to become a lawyer?"
He turns around and sees us. "Oh hi Nicole." He takes his shoes off and sets his stuff down.

"Well hi to you too dad" River says and rolls his eyes.
He comes in and sits next to my mom. He take a deep breath before I say anything.
"Um Dad. This is Dom."

He wrinkles his nose and looks dom up and down.
"So this is your boyfriend?" He says then looks at me.
I nod my head and smile nervously.
He looks at River.

"Have you caught HIV yet?"
My mom looks at him with a shocked face.
"Ray! That's so rude. He's your son."

"He came from my balls so he should be straight. God when will this stupid phase of his end"
He gets up and goes into the kitchen and grabs a beer from the fridge.

River clenches his fists.
I look at Dom.
"Hey so you wanna see mine and Rivers rooms? I haven't seen mine in forever."
Dom nods. "Sure why not."

My dad shoots his head towards Dom.
"You. You're that British man that my son was obsessed with. You're the reason he is gay"

I look at my dad. "Can you not be a homophobic asshole for one day? Dom is so kind and caring and he has nothing to do with the fact River is gay. River is gay because that's who he is. Just fucking deal with it oh my god". I get up and have dom and River follow me to my old room. I sit down on the bed and feel the blankets.
Dom sits next to me and River closes the door.

"Dad is an asshole. He is why I never come home anymore. This is the first time I've seen mom since I went to college other than times I come here with you."

I look at dom. "I'm so sorry about what my dad said. He's just-"

"Homophobic? I can tell." He chuckles.

I stand up and grab a little beaten up bunny plush from my dresser. I hold it against my chest and just stand there.

"Darlin are you okay?"

"No. I'm not. I'm not okay Dom. I came here to see my mother and my father can't even act like a decent human being for 5 minutes. It was like this my entire childhood. We never could catch a break. Wanna know the real reason why he blames other thing for my brother being gay? Because he thinks it's his fault. It's his fault I'm so fucked up now. He's the reason why I only ever follow in my moms footsteps, or only talk to my mom. Because he is a worthless human who deserves nothing but to die in a dumpster fire"
I sniffle and wipe my eyes with my sleeve. Dom stands up and hugs my tightly. He stands there with his chin resting on my head while rubbing my back.