Bury

August 27th, 2 am

Penelope Watanabe bows her head to the floor multiple times. Hands glued to each other. A routine she would perform every night to help her husband. Especially since the new text messages came out.

Their shock when Zeus was the one responsible for the whole thing. Her husband's turmoil from losing his nephew, Chrysaor. His victories hollowed by the losses of Ares, Aphrodite, Apollo, and other allies in that timeline. Him relaying his plan to rescue Nyx from her prison.

She researched that name. A Primordial deity who controls the moon and night. A being that was there from the beginning of existence. She kept using her name in her prayers, hoping she would hear her.

"Nyx, help my love. He needs you. You can set things right. Bring him home. Please."

Tears accompany her words. Hopelessness had captured her husband's heart when he jumped back. That nothing he did mattered. His guilt that he's not with them along with something else. She grabs a pillow to imagine his presence. His touch she missed so much.

"It's not your fault. Just make it back so I can hold you tight. Aishiteru (I deeply love you), Takashi Watanabe. I always will. Use my love as strength."

A soft peck on her pillow concludes her ritual. She checks on Karisa, who's sleeping peacefully with a pacifier in her mouth. She slinks back into bed, hoping the next day he will be right by her side.

A heavy exhale escapes her lips. She can't be too hopeful or else it will tear her apart like last time. At least her husband is safe.

She squeezes her eyes shut, thankful for the small "embrace" Taki extended to her. It gave her the strength she needed.

I will kiss your face and wipe your tears. Just come home. We need you.

-----

A few torches light his way to her bedroom. Taki's hand stops before knocking on Medea's door. His fingers clutch his evil eye necklace from feeling a bit of his wife's words.

Hoping and praying for his return. Topped with a deep love for him.

He wishes he could hear her voice. Filled with comfort that he needed to hear. Her soft touch to steady his broken heart.

"Aishiteru, my bronze goddess", he whispers. "I will be by your side. I miss you and everyone every minute I'm here.....I need you. I've lost...."

Odysseus' fatherly support. The crew members that were like brothers to him. The gods that were like a second family to him. Who helped him in his lowest of lows.

Tears drip to the stone floor. He leans against the wall.

"Don't cry. Don't cry", he repeats to avoid breaking down again. 

Demeter could help turn the tides of his war with Zeus. Maybe a possibility of avoiding another reset.....and yet the next thought stops him.

He nor Hypnos couldn't retrieve the space ability. Demeter may not be able to help him with that. 

You're nothing but an imposter.

He clutches his head from the intruding thought. "Stop. If fath----"

A slow, long exhale escapes his lips. He has to forget the lie that Zeus had implanted in his head.

"Kronos picked me. He wouldn't make a mistake.......right?"

His mind is attacked by the pessimistic thoughts in his head. Tearing his already splintered mind apart. To save himself from breaking down, he utilizes what he did after killing Stavros.

He buries it all down with a fake smile. Anything to stop the pain from leaking out.

After stopping his tears, he knocks on the door.

Medea startles awake from the knocking.

"Demeter reached out to me."

Hearing Takashi's voice settles her heart. The witch rubs her eyes while getting out of bed. She slips on a robe and some sandals before opening the door.

Her eyes blink numerous times at him. His irises seem darker than before. A smile like broken glass awaits her.

"Taki, you mentioned Demeter?"

He relays what happened with a smile that begins to hurt his cheeks.

She wonders what had just happened to him. Was it another incident that isolated him?

She smiles back while holding her concern. "We will leave at dawn then. We will fly over land to avoid any of the Atlantean monsters......Oh, Daedalus and Icarus are safe. They're in Athens now."

"That's great."

"Would you like to see them?"

The corners of his lips almost pull down. "I.....don't want to bother them. But, hey. They're safe. Icarus can be with Daphne and Daedalus can continue to be a great inventor."

She realized from experience what he just did to himself. Shutting down some of his feelings to preserve himself. Something she did to protect her heart. 

"Taki, what happened to you just then?"

"I don't know what you mean. I'm fine."

The former queen of Athens doesn't push back on his lie. She figures he pushed his guilt down to prevent it from consuming him.

A slight memory of her training comes to mind. Circe, her teacher, told her to keep a lid on a pot of water.

"No matter what happens, you must keep the lid on."

Her teacher casted fire at the bottom of the pot. The water began to bubble. The lid rattled, but Medea applied pressure to keep it still. Circe raised her hands. The fire intensified. Some embers nibbled at her pupil's forearms. She winced but maintained her hold. Some water frothed to the outside. The lid began to rise against her volition. 

Screams from the scalding water on her feet.

Her teacher fortunately stopped the flames with cold water. While healing her pupil, she told her the lesson.

"Pressure can only be maintained for so long. Like magic, you will be tested in all manners of life. In that case, use a bigger vessel."

But in Taki's case, his "pot" will overflow. It's only a matter of when.

She clutches his arm. "Taki. We will drop off Medus at my parents' castle before we head off. My rooster will go off at daybreak. Meet at the front gate."

"Okay. See ya in the morning."

He walks away to pack while Medea looks on with concern for her friend......

Her rooster crows to signal the start of the day. She rushes to her son's room with her things in tow.

He wakes up to the sound of his door opening.

He rubs his eyes. "Mother?"

"It's early, but I need to drop you off with your grandparents. It will be too dangerous at this point."

Her son embraces her. "I don't want to leave you!"

Her heart shakes as she doesn't want to do this, but she must. "I will come back for you after I drop him off. I need to make sure he's with Demeter."

"Promise?"

She kisses his forehead. "Promise. You can bathe later."

He gathers his small bag and follows her. Pink and orange streaks cast through the day. Takashi waits for them with that broken smile. Heavy bags under his eyes.

Medus feels the need to embrace him, but he raises his hand to stop him.

"Slept well, Medus?"

"I did. And you?"

"Slept like a peaceful baby."

Another lie. Medea's son grasps his mother's hand. His eyes, asking her if he's really okay. Her eyes assure him that she will keep him safe.

From her bag, she takes out some rope and loosely ties Taki's hands together. To deceive anyone that he was captured by her. She briefly explains to her confused son what she's doing.

An incantation brings the ride to life. The dragon heads nuzzle against their master and her child. The trio gets inside and ride to the north of Colchis. They pass over mines of gold and iron, and colonies of beehives for products, before reaching a larger castle.

The guards show no fear since they were used to seeing the twin dragon chariot. She bluffs that she will be holding the infamous man until she comes to Zeus. Medus will be staying with them until it's done.

Her son slowly walks away before running back to embrace his mother. "Be safe."

She tussles his unruly brown hair before kissing the top of his head. "I will be back before you know it."

She drifts away while burying the sadness within. The witch and her hostage fly north under the gaze of Helios. His observant eyes congratulate his great granddaughter for capturing the criminal. He lets them be to continue his job.

Taki's eyes cannot stop staring at Hemera until he forces himself not to. Another reminder of his guilt that she got harmed by the Olympian god-king.

He hopes Demeter won't be a lost cause. If not, his buried feelings will rise up and potentially kill him.