Task

The lion garbed hero was escorted by Hippolyta's guards to her. Their eyes meet at the same level of 7 feet tall.

He politely asked to retrieve her belt to complete his ninth labor. The belt was sought after by Admete, daughter of the king who assigned the seemingly impossible tasks on him.

He solemnly explained the reason behind the tasks. Killing his wife and child in a fit of madness.

She gripped her belt. The plate of a boar carrying spears shined from the daylight.

"This was given by my father when I won as best fighter of the group. I already knew he was proud of me, but this meant a lot to me......I will give it to you."

He sensed the emotional connection. "I will bring it back."

Her scarlet irises widened from his kind words. She cleared her throat. "You would do that?"

He nodded. The princess only wanted to wear it for a special occasion. He vowed to bring it back once it's done.

"I....appreciate that. You came a long way. Take a night to rest."

He requested that his room be separate from everyone else on the island. She solemnly understood for his madness could strike again at any time.

The Queen ordered her warriors to construct a small hut right away. They rushed out of the castle to complete the task.

His dark blue eyes captivated her. He asked if she was okay.

She shook her head. "Would you like a tour of the island?"

"I apologize. I want to make this short."

"I understand. This armor you have is extraordinary."

"I owe it to Hephaestus."

"Is there some pelt leftover where I can have a piece of my own?"

"I'm afraid not."

Her lips frowned. "Oh."

But something changed. Heracles took off his lion armor and held it open for her. A smile cracked her face as she slipped her arms into the sleeves. He held onto it, thinking the weight would make her stumble. However, she stood tall.

Lifting up a paw to admire the sharp claws at the end. She walked without a bother to see her reflection. She flexed in different poses to see how she looked. Taking up an apple, she tossed it up---

Slice!

The apple split into pieces. Seeds scattered about. A smile beaming from ear to ear.

Heracles' mouth twitched before he killed the smile. She turned to him to find disappointment.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be mocking-"

"It's not that. You look....lovely."

His unexpected words sent a jolt through their hearts. Her deep red irises softened to a pastel color. She couldn't help but analyze his bicep peaks. His strong jawline. Those blue eyes she wanted to drown in.

The mighty hero rubbed the back of his neck. "You may wear that as long as you like."

"I appreciate that, Heracles."

She unbuckled her belt and gave it to him. He brushed his fingers through the engraved detail of the plate before gently putting it over his shoulder.

"It suits you", she complimented.

She could have sworn his eye color brightened from their time together. Her steps approached him to close the distance. A silence that made Heracles look away.

Guilt and pain rang in his eyes. Her hand traced his jawline, but he turned away.

"I apologize. That was too forward."