Chapter 38

Mark's Pov...

Lizzy was in a nicely-fitted top and slack, well pressed and very neat with fun patterns on them. I was in an overcoat instead, and it was gradually getting hot.

We walked through the clearing, she was silent for the most while, having read the deadly seriousness in my face. The ground was a beautiful caret of golden and green leaves which squashed with each step we took.

"Promise me you're going to tell me the truth as I ask you this"

"I don't remember ever lying to you"

"Better. Now my mother came up with something which I first thought was a joke. Unfortunately and somehow fortunately, It wasn't a joke at all. And it's about Stormi.

Before I proceed, I want you to answer this question honestly please." I tightened my jaw while watching her in the face I watch her consciously smooth out the frown and smile.

"I'm going to sound as straight as possible, okay? I want you to get back to work as soon as possible. I shouldn't be here now but it's too important"

"Sure, you can ask"

"I know this is going to sting a bit but...While Derrick was your boyfriend, did you ever have something outside with anybody else. Like sex?"

I watched again as the frown returned, this time it included shock. The question seemed to take her unawares. She kept staring at me for some time and at some point kept moving forward. I followed, waiting to accept whatever she was to say.

She went towards the railings and gazed into the broad blue sky. She was quiet for some time but it would be impolite to rush her, so I was quiet for the meantime.

"Mark, it's a long story" she intoned.

At this I went still. The blood beat in my brain. So it was true! I sighed noisily and rested my hands on the rails to support my jaw. My mother might have been right about all this!

"To be honest with you Mark, Yes I did. I know how disgraceful such an act is but I was drunk that night and Derrick. He was drunk as well. He had been led away by a bunch of girl's, and I was drunk. So..." "So?"

"That's it? That was how it all happened?"

"I understand Lizzy and that's why I'm beginning to be skeptical about you. Maybe my mother was right after all. Yes, I'm so sorry for everything. But I did not know what I was doing at that point. I lost my mind as well, but I regret my action even up to this point. I'm so sorry"

"I'm so sorry. I never knew what I was doing. It just...it just happened" she looked at me in the eye, her eyes misty with tears from her crying.

"No, don't cry. Crying won't solve any problem. Sit please, I want to tell you something. Please sit ''

''How did you know about this?" she asked, the pleas and hope of her life in that gaze.

"I know about it because we are somehow involved in all of this and thankfully, my mother has somehow or rather, unwittingly uncovered the whole thing"

"I don't understand, could you please stop keeping me in the dark about this and tell me plainly what's going on"

She sat listlessly and listened to my story. Of how everything had happened.

From the incident between the both of us in the car down to this moment. Her eyes widened in shock when I was done.

She simply couldn't believe it. I neither felt so happy or so sad.

"Are you trying to say that Stormi is ours?" she asked, bewildered.

I shook my head slowly, doing a pretty job in hiding my expression. A smile creased up her face, and her eyes were bright with joy.

They said everything. But the happiness in her gradually died as she watched my countenance.

"Any problem Mark? You don't look happy

"So you are angry at me because of what we both did?"

"I would never be angry at you because of that. But how would you explain this? The same day you broke up with Derrick and I met you at the elevator was the same day Susan packed out of my house to Derrick's."

"How does that have to do with this. I mean, it's crazy timing. Isn't it"

"Crazy timing you call it? It's clear Lizzy that..." I stopped, looking away.

"Please there is nothing going on between us. I assure you" She cried, sobbing out fresh tears.

"Mark, why are you behaving this way?" I shook my head sadly and turned.