Chapter 33

Mark's Pov.

"Say, you didn't just come to brush my hair. Right?" Lizzy asked, while we made our way down the stairs and towards our cars. Her eyes were intent on me and I could do nothing to avert it.

"Any problem with that?" I asked, the scent of her perfume still lingering in my nose.

"I'm sorry if that upset you. I was just asking because-"

Holding her cheeks and looking straight into her eyes, I made her know I understood how she felt. She simply nodded and turned again towards her car. I looked at the child again. An invisible blade seemed to strike through my belly as my mother's words re-echoed in my mind.

"Anyway," I continued, "I actually came to discuss something with you, but I guess I came at the wrong time. So um... probably later"

"That's okay. When shall you be coming?" she asked, her grey eyes intent on mine.

"Evening, most probably. I have things to address this morning so I won't be able to catch up in the afternoon. Try to refresh yourself, ok"

"Is it that serious?" she laughed.

"No no no, not that actually. But it's very serious." I slightly tilted my head in Stormi's direction. "It's about her."

At this, the expression in her face deadened. She suspiciously regarded me before speaking.

"You shouldn't keep me hanging on tenterhooks. How do you expect me to concentrate while at work? You want me to get kicked out?"

"No-one is going to touch you. And if anyone does, I'm going to kick his ass too" then bending to the little girl who blushed while I did so

"Are you not gonna smile for me today?"

She giggled. It was cute. Was she really mine? I asked myself in that fraction of a second. A puzzled look was on Lizzy's face as I stood.

"You don't have to worry, ok?" I asked before hugging her "I love you"

I threw back my head when I entered my car. Sighing heavily, I fumbled for the lose strands of hair and thankfully, it was intact. Taking out my phone from my pocket, I searched for Mr. Richardson's phone number and came upon it in a matter of time. He was my family's doctor.

"Hello. Good morning"

"Good morning, Mr. Mark. How are you doing?"

"Great, as always. Can I come see you now? Was wondering if you've already reported to work?"

"Sure, had a very busy night. You can come over before I go. I will be waiting"

"Ok. on my way then"

And the line went dead.

It was a fifteen minute's drive from the Broncos to Greenville. Five cars were symmetrically parked and there was no one outside. I met with Mr. Richardson on the third floor and shook hands with him before we proceeded to his office. For ten minutes, we sat talking about matters that did not have to do with why I'd come. At last, I relayed my information to him and provided the hairs before leaving.

I left straight for the office to meet with Mrs. Celeste, the MD of Zoloft airlines. We'd both known since high-school days.

And she had come, not only on the account of business matters but as well to congratulate me on the efforts I'd made thus far concerning both companies.

She hadn't changed much. The petite-blond was always withdrawn and formal. Those were the two qualities that defined her which factored in her being taciturn and rarely making visits. It was sure to be awkward when having a discussion with her.