Chapter 24

LIZZY'S POV.

A toast. To make each day count" I heard it over and over again from different lips. I merely lifted my glass and clicked it with others, drinking to our health.

I heard the word again from Mark's father as he lifted his glass and drained it. There was this other elderly man that I had vaguely remembered. I could remember meeting the old man some time ago. His gaze made me uncomfortable. I locked eyes with him at intervals.

My eyes went back across the room to where Nina stood as they had done beside the wall, bantering with Mark who I could easily recogniZe by clean-shaven jaw. He was elegantly dressed as any other man here

I felt a cloak of lethargy envelope when a woman raised her glasses towards Mark. And Mark reciprocated the gesture, how dared he flirt so openly.

Quiet suddenly, almost as if he had sensed me watching him, he turned towards me. His eyes are a dark inscrutable blue. Nina turned to me as well, her expressions were hidden by those long lashes.

Impulsively, I tip back my head and look back at him.

I brush back a lock of my jet-black hair while looking at him. He looked hotter tonight, maybe because of the darkness that the shade had thrown over them.

I feel my clutch shake. I open it immediately and find my phone humming. It was Derrick calling, but I switched off the phone and put it back. We've been having lapses in our relationship lately.

I looked back at him only to discover that Lizzy was standing so close to him. I tightened my jaws in anger as I watched her rest her hands on his chest, playing with the tie of his suit.

They were in that way, intermittently letting out controlled but hard laughter. Half-mockingly catching my sparkly eyes, Mark lifted his glass to me. How cold and angry I was deep within.

I had taken on a brooding almost then, watching both lovers as they played affectionately and shamelessly!

Just again, he swerved his head in my direction. I could not bear to meet his gaze any longer. I turned and slipped out of the dining. I entered a guest room which was nearby and went to the window side, letting in a draught of cool air before I closed the door behind me.

"Excuse me" I heard him murmur mechanically to the pretty brunette who stood in his way. I watched as he came out through the doorway.

I sighed noisily and I brushed back my hair with both hands. All this must stop! Someone came knocking at the door then, but it wasn't Mark. He'd gone the other way to greet someone. The knock repeated itself three times before it stopped. I could discern the person's shadow move away.

Having calmed a bit, I went outside again. I made as of to mingle, but deep down i thought about thus growing concern between Mark and I. A part of me wanted him so as to destroy whatever was building up between the two, the other part of me berated me on my foolish decision and was making me like him. Derrick was just the opposite of what I wanted.

I bump into someone while walking, in oblivion to the things happening around. I staggered back but I was able not to lose my footing.

"I'm so sorry," I said.

"Hey! Susan" Mark smiled "I'm sorry too, maybe I should have looked.

Lizzy had put an arm between his shoulders. Her face grew quite emotionless when she set her eyes on me.

But it didn't last long. She tried as much to fight off the disappointed look spreading over her face as I gazed at Mark, smiling.

"Hi" he began in bated breath "Lizzy, meet Susan"