Chapter 41

I stepped down from the car immediately he dropped me, not in the mood for talks. I did know if I was jealous or if I was sulking.

"What the hell! Is this where you live?" He said that with an unwavering disgust in his voice.

"Yeah. Not everyone can afford to live in opulence and luxury."

I noticed him becoming stiff as a result of my statements.

Mark had always been blunt and dark.

The rest of the ride was quiet, and he eventually pulled up to the side of my apartment complex and parked his car.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and grabbed the door handle.

Mark was already looking at me when I turned around.

"Thank you. For the ride." Softly, I muttered. .

He said nothing but only gave me a benign smile.

"Will we get to meet again?" He asked.

"What kind of question is that? Did you ever hear I could go into the future? But despite that, I pray this will be the last I will ever see you" I said before I stepped down from the car and left, leaving him stunned.

I didn't even turn around to see whether he was still there. I never gave a hoot about him after our brutal break up. The wound seemed to be renewed each time i remembered that day. I couldn't forget that morning, no matter how much I tried to.

But the weird thing was that i still had feelings for him.

When I was safely inside my apartment, I leaned against the door and let out a deep sigh, closing my eyes.

Sleep was slowly digging into my eyes. I ran my hand through my hair and ambled towards my room, dodging the rickety seats and sofas.

My mind went back to Mark. He didn't give me butterflies when he was near me. He gave me bats instead. Or maybe I could get him back somehow!

Excuse me, where did that crazy thought come from. I berated myself, not knowing I had been smiling vacantly all this while.

He, on the other hand, made me angry, foolish, and useless.

He has the audacity to think he can just get his way back into my life as if nothing had occurred.

I had loved Mark with all my heart then. Things were sweet, well, till they got sour.

Things got sour the day he broke up with me with no reason.

We had only had few quarrels in our relationship, and we'd settled them long ago.

My whole life seemed to shatter at that point. I thought it was one of his numerous jokes but he was serious.

There was nothing I could do. Well, there was only one thing I could do then. Just like every other rational teenager, I ran.

I withdrew from King's college the next week and that was the last time I saw Mark.

I tugged at my tresses.

"Stop!"

I didn't yell at anyone in particular. My eyes were getting cloudy with tears again. I grabbed my lampstand and smashed it on the wall, groaning.

It's been almost fifteen years now.

Samantha Moore, it's time for you to move on.

Get it? He's just your ex-boyfriend.