Chapter Forty Four

What if....Lucas died? (Angst) (continues from chapter Forty two)

***********************************************

Limp like

That is how Lucas lays.

He lays on a table in the lab, some monitors being hooked to him but the line being all flat. A little foam from his seething being on his chest, his eyes being closed, body still...

Immobile.

Max only just looks dead ahead of her with a complete blank expression. Her eyes are red but not from infection, it is from the tears of the constant sobs she has been suffering through for the past hour since Lucas died, her sobs sending her into uncontrolled breaths to where she could barely breathe, the others having to calm her down most of the time.

Her cheeks are flushed, new tears and dried ones are on her cheeks, her hair being disheveled. Her body is still completely exhausted, her knee shakes on it's own accord.

Everything has gone wrong.

She was certain that it would work, her hopes were high since Dustin and Suzie said that the sample was deteriorating the virus. But she knows she cannot get mad at them, the sample wasn't tested, Lucas and the others infected were the test.

And it failed.

She failed.

She failed him.

She broke her promise to him.

It makes more tears roll down her cheeks from the thought, she should've just let him stayed outside of the city, he should have settled more in the house that he made, she should have just let him had his last days there, him enjoying the soft wind, the stars, the terrain the beautiful view before he went in peace.

Now she ruined that for him.

"MAX!" He yells, looking at her run to the door. "MAX LET ME GO!" He yells. "If you do this! If you break your promise I will HATE YOU! I WILL HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" He cries.

Max begins to cry more, her heart honestly hurting so much, or maybe it is her chest, she really doesn't know. "I'm sorry." Max croaks out, her throat being so dry. "I really am sorry Lucas, I tried, I tried." She sobs. "I wanted...I wanted so badly for you to be alive, I really really don't want for you to be gone." She cries loudly, her sobbing as she puts her forehead on his stomach, her crying out loudly. "I'm sorry. I know you hate me...I broke my promise...I'm sorry...I'm sorry."

Suzie and Dustin stand at the door while watching her, both of them looking back at the others and all of them having sorrowed filled expressions. "The other..." Suzie starts, Max looking over at her with teary eyes. "The others had the same effect. They're..."

"They're gone." Dustin gets out.

Max's bottom lip grows more shaky, Steve going over to her and slowly putting a hand on her shoulder, rubbing it softly. "I failed him." Her shaky voice gets out. "All he wanted was peace and I ruined that for him. He hates me...he died hating me." She cries.

Suzie's eyes grow teary, her going over to the other table across the way that holds all of the lab supplies and tests, her slamming her hands on the table after a minute. "DAMMIT!"

"Suzie—"

"What the hell did I get WRONG?!" Suzie begins to cry, her beginning to frantically look around at all of the different papers.

"Suzie." Dustin starts with teary eyes, his hands going to hers.

"No."

"Suzie—"