Chapter Forty Five

What if....Lucas and Max finally talked after a couple months of distance? (Angst and Fluff) (Continues 2 months after chapter Forty four)

***********************************************

"Wooo!"

"Yeah!"

"Yes!"

"Another job successful!" Jonathan cheers, him and the others and all of the other GuardRunners making their way inside of the base.

"Now it is just the dark zone we have to clear out." Max says, her going to take off her knuckle gloves. "Alright shower up and rest up guys, you all deserve it."

"Woo!"

"Yes!"

"Yeah!"

Max takes a little breath, moving the strands away from her hair. She goes over to the water jar to pour herself a cup of water, her going to sit down and lean back a little.

Two months.

It has been two months since Lucas left the note saying that he needed time and distance, and Max has granted that to him. They have barely talked, the most is just nodding at each other in acknowledgment or when it comes to missions, since Lucas decided to join back in with the GuardRunners a month after leaving the note.

And it is honestly like he never left, because he is still as good as he has been, but it becomes hard to work with him most of the time. For Max it is hard to look at him, it is hard to be around him when her mind and heart is telling her that he hates her, that he wants nothing to do with her and that makes her break every single time, which is why she told Hopper and requested for them to not be together in any jobs.

She did that three weeks in, and ever since that they have only seen each other just passing by, them not even speaking to each other anymore. And honestly Max prefers that then them working together and them being in the same room together barely saying anything, because that just makes her heart more heavy then it already is.

Eleven goes to sit by her, a smile being on her face. "You did well, you know how to lead."

Max smiles at her. "Thanks."

Eleven nods her head in response. "How are you doing?"

Max shrugs a little bit, her rubbing her face a little. "I don't know El, I won't lie and say that it doesn't hurt because it does, it hurts every time I see him, every time I think about him but I have to keep busy. God I even shake a little in fear when I'm around him because....El it's been two months...he hates me."

Eleven looks down a little, she didn't even know he would take so long to talk to Max, she thought the most it would be was a few weeks, not months.

"It just feels like he is trying to...ghost me." Max says, looking aimlessly ahead of her with a sad expression. "All I wanted to do was save him."

"You want me to tell Steve and Jonathan to kick his ass?" Eleven questions with a soft smile.

Max chuckles a little bit. "I love them but Lucas would end up kicking their asses." She says before standing up. "I'm fine El I am, the good thing is that he is alive, I'm going to go on and go back to the ship."

"Okay." Eleven mentions.

Max nods, her going to walk out of the base and go towards the large cruising ship that sits in a good pot of land in the city, them able to fix it up and make it into another base and rooms inside of it since infected are wiped away from this area.

"Good evening Max!"

"Good job Max!"

"Wooo Max!"

"Yeah Mayfield!"