I

"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world

"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
-C.S. Lewis

England, 1940

What is reality, if not just a boring place we wished we could escape?

That was the case for Olivia Kirke Olmore, for England was the most absurdly dull place one could ever live on. What was the objective of school anyway?

Let's make one thing clear: Olivia loved Edmund. She loved being close to him. But moving to Finchley to live with her aunt Hillary so that she could attend school was not her idea of fun with Edmund. But it was much better to be with him than without. At least Finchley was safe now—no more air raids. In fact, that was the reason the Pevensies returned home in the first place.

She very much preferred to stay be the countryside, being homeschooled and immersive in her distant world. But, Digory Kirke had given her no choice ( of course, it was hard on him too, for the professor had shed many tears due to the absence of his granddaughter ), for he claimed she needed to be more mature.

School was a part of growth, and she couldn't be stuck in a world she currently wasn't in: Digory Kirke wanted her to know that she could live in this world without ever forgetting Narnia. Adapting doesn't mean forgetting.

School was hell: just like Edmund had described. Her first day? A nightmare.

It already started horribly in the morning when her loud alarm woke her from good dreams about dancing with Narnians and Aslan around a fireplace in the Western Woods.

The girl lazily got out of bed and turned it off, opening her window, and the sun shone brightly on her face. The girl kept herself focused on the idea that she would see Edmund after six months since it was December, and she had not seen him since July.

She did her morning routine; she had a shower, brushed her teeth, got her hair up in a ponytail and got dressed in her red uniform and grey skirt.

" Morning. " She mumbled, sitting down at the breakfast table with her aunt.

" Morning, sweetheart. Excited for today? " Asked her aunt excitedly.

Hillary Kirke was a sweet woman. Of course, she barely looked like she was over thirty, but she was, in reality, forty-seven. She was the second daughter of Digory Kirke and the sister of Olivia's mom.

" No. " Olivia took a bite out of her sandwich. " School seems awful. "

" You'll have friends! After all, you are close to the Pevensie siblings, aren't you? " She asked happily.

" I am. But I still hate school. "

They finished eating breakfast, and Hillary packed Olivia some lunch and helped her with her bag. Giving her niece two kisses on her cheeks, she said goodbye to Olivia.

The girl walked her way to the subway, bopping her head to an old Narnian song stuck in her mind. She could never seem to forget her Kingdom.

She popped a bubble from her strawberry-flavoured bubblegum and walked down the subway stairs, passing through the moving crowd and seeking a pleasant and comfortable seat.

Olivia kept staring at the platform but suddenly felt two strong hands grab her shoulders. On impulse, the girl grabbed those two hands and twisted them on her back.

" Ow! Ow! " Edmund complained.

Olivia let go, bringing her hands to cup her mouth. " Ed! " She exclaimed, throwing her arms over his shoulders.

Edmund had a growth spurt since the last time she saw him. Puberty was hitting him ( again ), and she could tell a light change in his tone of voice, making it deeper. The boy grabbed onto her waist, hoisting her up in a spin.

" I've missed you. " He murmured against her hair.

" I've missed you more. " She replied with a soft smile.

He would've kissed right there if it wasn't for the fact they were thirteen again, and it wasn't seen in a good way kissing in public at that age.

Peter cleared his throat, drawing back the attention to the other Pevensies. " We've missed you too. " He said awkwardly.

Olivia giggled, engulfing the three Pevensies in a gigantic hug. She practically squeezed Lucy, who did not mind, for she missed Olivia very much. After all, they had lived together for fifteen years; it was odd not to have her around.

" Excited for your first day in school? " Susan asked her.

" Very. Oh, I've been dreaming about it. So excited.  " Olivia replied sarcastically. " I've never been to school, but I know it won't be cool to be the girl who was always homeschooled and started there in the middle of the year. "

Lucy rubbed her shoulder. " Do not worry. We will be here for you. "

Olivia placed her hands on top of the youngest ones. " Thanks, Lu. "

The metro arrived, and the doors opened. Olivia grabbed Edmund's hands, and together, they went inside, followed by his siblings. Many kids and teenagers entered the large transport, and they were filled in different colours: Black and yellow for Hendon house, Red and Blue for Saint Finbar's.

They came to a halt after a half-hour ride, and all the students left the metro and headed for their respective schools. Saint Finbar's was a large institution with many similar corridors and rooms. Of course, if it had not been for the Pevensies, she would have had a very hard time finding herself.

Olivia, luckily, had her first period with Edmund. It was Advanced History, and Edmund had talked a lot about the professor. When they entered the classroom, it was filled with students sitting at their desks and chatting excitedly about how had their winter break been and the new things they had bought.

The two found two empty desks, side-by-side, and Olivia placed her bag in one and Edmund in the other.

" Aren't you going to sit with your friends? " Olivia asked, furrowing her brows.

" They can wait. " He replied, sitting by her side.

Edmund saw how she gulped and how her leg shook as she looked around the other students nervously. She was visibly nervous and panicked, and Edmund wasn't accustomed to that. Olivia got along very well with the Narnians, but they weren't in Narnia anymore.

The boy gently touched her leg, drawing Olivia's attention. " Everything's all right. " He told her. " You're going to do great on your first day. "

The boy pressed a kiss to her forehead, and Olivia let her breath escape. " I'm lucky to have you. "

Edmund grinned. " Oh, you're very lucky. Just not as lucky as Peter, who has to see me every day. " He joked. " Ah, living with me must be so awesome. "

" I did live with you. " She responded. " In fact, I shared a room with you. And you're the messiest person I have ever met. " The girl raised her eyebrows.

Edmund brought a hand to his chest dramatically. " I am so offended! Take that back! "

" Just the facts. "

Edmund just smiled. He laughed at her and checked his surroundings before moving forward to press a quick peck to her lips. Olivia giggled, hugging Edmund.

If that was going to be school, then maybe it wasn't going to be so bad.