XXV

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."
— Stephen Hawking

Narnia, 2557.

Olivia met him under the tree at precisely six in the afternoon, just as the final rays of natural light faded in the horizon.

Tash, in all of his horror, looked at the beyond, leaning against the tree she had been tied against not so long ago, long arms crossed against his dark and skeletal chest. He was a kind of sight no one could get accustomed to; no matter what, his body was too peculiar for Olivia's eyes to find normalcy.

His head didn't turn to her, but he still spoke her name. "Olivia," Tash called, disdain in his tone. "Are you ready?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Born ready." Making deals with the devil. It made a shiver run down her spine.

A smirk formed in his weird and curved mouth, like he could read her thoughts. Actually, Olivia had no doubt he could, in fact read her mind.

They began walking, and Olivia noticed how erect his posture was. Tash looked mean, but she found it weird how he and Aslan just– reached an agreement. According to the Bible, Lucifer and God could never agree on anything, so how come, in this world, they reached an agreement?

"Because I am not Lucifer," Tash responded, startling her.

"How come?"

Tash signed as if she were a toddler, asking him to explain a basic concept to her like it was obvious that he wasn't the devil.

"In your world, you seem to follow the Bible, the words of the disciples." He began explaining tiredly. "You shouldn't assume it's the same in this world. Do you see a Narnian version of the Bible?"

"No, but—"

"Exactly." He cut her off rudely. "It isn't the same thing. It doesn't have the same history and, therefore, doesn't have the same characters. The thing you know as Lucifer doesn't have access to Narnia— Jadis was a being born from Charn, a world created by Aslan, or Jesus, whatever, a place initially being good and wise and bla bla bla. Still, it was eventually corrupted as the beings turned tyrannical and cruel and all that boring history stuff. Jadis only managed to reach Narnia because your grandfather accidentally woke her when he reached Charn and took her with him to the woods between the worlds. In your tales, there is no Jadis."

Olivia frowned. Grandpa had never told her such a thing— in his tales, he did confirm that there was a world named Charn, an evil place that had once been good, destroyed by Aslan after its corruption. But he never told her that he had gone to Charn nor that he was the reason for so many years of suffering at the hands of Jadis.

Trying to brush past that piece of information she would later talk to her grandfather about, Olivia began to focus on another thing: this was completely uncharted territory. Many things she thought she knew about Narnia were all based on the gospel from Earth, she didn't, actually. All she thought she knew was a lie. A Queen with incorrect knowledge. Well, she wasn't a Queen anymore because there wasn't even a kingdom to rule.