Chapter 1

"Hey Little One, ready for a break?" Ben Taylor asked Brooke Reed as she wiped down the table she was working on. Her brown eyes light up at the question.

"Yeah," she smiled flinging her long black braid over her shoulder. "Man, I love the lunch rush, but I love the silence afterwards," she giggled as she tossed the rag into the bucket.

"Same," he chuckled as he looked past her and forced himself not to react. "So, I heard from the boys yesterday," he said casually as he headed over to the register.

"Oh yeah?" she asked excitedly. "How are they? How much longer are they on that assignment?" She hurried over to him. "Did they tell you when they will be able to come home? It's been FOREVER," she groaned as she leaned against the counter. "I want them home now Uncle," she pouted as she straightened up, stomped her foot and crossed her arms over her chest.

Ben chuckled as he wrote something down. Brooke had been best friends with his nephews North and Luke Taylor since she was fifteen, so almost ten years now. Over the years the group grew bigger as more boys joined but it was never a problem, his nephews made it very clear that Brooke was always included. Now there was Owen Blackbourne, Victor Morgan, Sean Green, Nathan Griffin, Kota Lee, Gabriel Coleman, Silas Korba, Axel Toma, Raven Ravenstahl, Marc Weiland, and Corey and Brandon Henshaw, who were identical twins. North and Luke even told her about all the boys joining the Academy. She never wanted to join but she supported them in their decision.

It was hard on her watching them leave and not really knowing when they would be back, so she cherished every call and text she got from all of them. This time they were somewhere in Europe, and it had been a little over a year since she had seen them physically, there were some video calls, but they were short and rare. She even kept letters that they would write her while they were gone. Having been in a bad family life, she tended to cling to the group of boys and Uncle as much as she could. In fact, when she was a teenager and the boys had to leave, she would stay with either Ben or Kota's mom Erica and his sister Jessica as much as possible.

Now at 25, she had her own small house, thanks to Uncle and his real estate company, but she still found herself crashing at Ben or Erica's place occasionally, not that either one of them complained. Jessica was away at college, so she really didn't have anyone in her life besides Ben and Erica now. Hence, she was helping him out at his diner to not only spend time with him but also to keep herself busy, she hated being alone. Brooke had a thriving business where she sold various art pieces that she made, whether they are paintings, or little figurines that she made and painted, or blankets she sewed, just anything that came to her mind, so she kept herself busy, but Ben could tell she wasn't truly happy while the boys were gone.

"They didn't tell me when they would be back," he smirked. "But I'm sure it won't be too much longer."

She huffed and rolled her eyes, "Well, I want them home now, this is taking FOREVER. I don't like it."

"Someone sure is being needy today," a mischievous voice chuckled from behind her making her freeze for a split second before turning around and squealing in joy before jumping into their open arms.

"LUKE!" She shouted as she wrapped her arms around his neck and legs around his waist. "I MISSED YOU! Why didn't you tell me you were coming home?"

"That would defeat the purpose of the surprise Baby," North chuckled as she leaned over so she could hug him with just as much enthusiasm as she hugged Luke.

"You are such a freaking Meanie Gabriel Coleman," She chuckled as she hugged him. "You told me yesterday that it was taking longer than you thought."

"Yeah but it was fucking worth it and you damn well know it," Gabe chuckled as he tightened his hold on her making her giggle.

"Now, now, Pookie, do you need the cure?" Sean asked while watching her hug everyone.

"Nope, no shots for me, Doc," She sighed happily as she winked at him.

"Damn, I can't believe all of you are really here," she murmured as she looked at all of them.

"Well, we are, Miss Reed," Owen said straightening his tie. "Like your surprise?"