Chapter 22

"I can't believe that fucker has her," Luke growled as he sat beside his younger brother. "We promised her North. We fucking promised."

"I know," North nodded as he clutched the steering wheel even tighter, "fuck, how the hell did he even manage to get out of fucking prison?"

"I'm looking into it," Victor said through the truck speakers. "Corey is too. We'll figure it out."

"That asshole was never supposed to leave prison after what he did to Brookey!" Luke ranted. "It took us years to help her heal after what he did to her! Hell, it took her how many years before she completely trusted all of us? Fuck!"

"Calm down," North growled as he watched Luke punch the dashboard. "You set off the airbags and we'll have to pull over."

"It didn't take her that long to trust us because of you and North," Silas pointed out. "Once you gained her trust then she knew she could trust us. Angelos Mou will know that we never expected this to happen, she won't blame us. Even if she does, we'll take everything she dishes out at us because we know we're her safe place and she can trust us to handle it. We'll help her through this, just like we helped her heal before."

"It's been ten years," North growled as he pressed his foot down on the gas pedal even more. "Ten fucking years. I swear I will kill him."

"Nyet," Raven growled, "I kill him. I professional Russian. After we have fun."

"We all will have fun then whoever ends up killing him will be up to Brooke," Axel replied. "Right now we need to focus and mentally prepare for anything. Gentlemen, we already know the monster that we are facing, let's make sure we are mentally ready for what we're about to walk into."

North forced his fingers to uncurl from the steering wheel and threw a quick look at his older brother, "She's going to be okay, Luke."

Luke tore his gaze from the window to look at his brother. North inhaled sharply at the pain and fear that screamed back at him. "Do you remember how she was when we rescued her from him all those years ago?" He waited for a second before continuing, "Can you honestly look me in the eyes, North Alexander Taylor, and tell me that she's going to be okay after he's had ten years to plot his revenge?"

North let out a heavy sigh, "she has to be, Lucian. It's the only thing keeping me sane right now."

Luke nodded, "Just promise me one thing," North nodded, "when we get there, let go. Dragon is going to come out, might as well have Hades come out as well."

"I can't," North shook his head, "I can't risk–"

"Oy, shut the fuck up," Gabe complained, "we already know that she's going to pull you back just like she has with her precious fucking dragon and her fucking bear too. Stop fucking worry and fucking let loose. The fucker deserves it and you fucking know it."

"Just remember, no killing," Axel reminded them. "We need confessions and concrete evidence."

"Then we kill," Raven growled.

"Agreed," Owen confirmed.

"Maybe now would be the time to tell us just how bad it was before we arrived," Sean suggested. "We know the gist of it but never the full story. It might help up mentally prepare for what we might be walking into or how to help her afterwards."

"I can't," North said through clenched teeth.

"I got it," Luke turned to look back out the window, even though it was pitch black it was better than just sitting there picking at the rip in his jeans. "You know we saw her occasionally at school but we really got to know her that summer before you started arriving. She was so skinny and shy. She reminded me of a startled bunny. North and I knew something was going on so we decided to try and be her friend. She didn't trust us at first but we eventually earned it. She loved the playground so we always met there. A lot of times she would have different coloring bruises on her."

"We already know that," Nathan growled. "That's why I started teaching her self-defense."

"Just tell them why he was in prison," North demanded. "If I say it again I'll hurl."

"Before I tell you, know that Uncle, Doc Roberts, and Momma never said anything because Brookey asked them not to," Luke sighed as he ran his fingers through his shoulder-length blonde hair. Multiple growls filled the truck before silence filled it again. They hated that it was hidden from them but they understood where it was coming from. "Are you sure you want to know everything?"

Everyone answered at once, "Yes."