Chapter 5

[November 1st, 2022]

Beatrice

 I  had to rush out of Thea's apartment at 5 AM, drive to my apartment to get ready, and leave around 6:30 to get to the rink for my first day of work. Now if you're asking me why would I choose to go to a party in another state the day before my first day of work? I'm not exactly sure, but yolo! At least I'm not hungover, I know Dorothea is going to hate herself today. 

As I'm driving to the rink I decide to start my morning on a high note. I click on the song "I Like It" by Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull. It always gets me hyped and the minute I hear the intro I'm turning it up and feeling less stressed about my first day. I pull into the employee's parking lot, grabbing my gear to take pictures of the guys while they practice. 

I walk in through the front and the man that I spoke to in the email introduces me to the New Jersey Devils' coach, Lindy Ruff. Or should I say Lindy "That's a joke, That's the definition of a joke right there," Ruff? Honestly, I feel a little starstruck talking to Lindy and shaking his hand. Even though my dad grew up in New Jersey he loved the Maple Leafs, so that phrase was a 'joke' around the house. 

"This is your new photographer, Beatrice Jae and she will also be handling your media accounts. Which is your Instagram and Tiktok. Tell Dougie he's out of a job," He jokes, making Lindy laugh. Who's Dougie? I let out a nervous chuckle before Lindy tells me to go right ahead and take pictures of the boys. I take pictures from different angles, and heights just to get some really good pictures for our Instagram. 

As I zoom in on the players, I get a better look at all their faces. Number 13, has cute eyes they look very sweet. Number 7, looks like a golden retriever, he looks so happy to be on the ice, same thing for number 91. I watch as number 86 zooms past me and I make it my mission to get a good picture of the guy. I zoom in and adjust the focus snapping a picture of him.

Once I took his picture I check to see if it was any good. I don't see it at first but when I take a closer look my stomach drops. "Fuck," I mutter, squinting my eyes to make sure I'm not daydreaming.

 "Fuck," I mutter, squinting my eyes to make sure I'm not daydreaming

That's the guy I was with last night. This feels like the first episode of Grey's Anatomy where Meredith accidentally slept with her attending. He's not my boss, but still. I shake my head, running around to catch the guys huddled up in the middle to listen to what their coach has to say. As I adjust the focus I see Lindy staring right at me.

"Oh yes, also boys we have someone new on our team. She will not be playing hockey, but she's going to be managing our social media, sorry Doug, and taking pictures of you guys while you're playing." Lindy says, as number 7 says "Man, what's next, will she be playing defense next season?" The boys laugh and I giggle behind my camera, catching them smiling.

"Her name is Beatrice Jae, she just moved here, so boys I trust you will make her feel welcome," he says before wrapping up their post-practice talk. Jack looks over at me, before turning back to his coach. "See you tonight!" He says and the boys skate towards the exit to leave. I start packing my things up, honestly just trying to get out of here.