Chapter 67

[February 10, 2024]

Beatrice 

As the work day comes to an end everyone's packing up, ready to go home to their families or pets. Like always, Devon and I sit in my office talking about our days when we decided we didn't want the night to be over just yet. We ask Nico if he'd like to go out to get a drink with us and he says sure, telling us to send him the address for wherever we're going. As I pick up my bag to leave, a receipt from Penny's falls out. 

I pick it up to see that it's not even from when I've gone recently it's from when Jack bought us burgers. Maybe I accidentally shoved it in my bag on accident when I was in a hurry but the piece of paper makes me soften a bit and say, "What if we invited Jack?" Devon looks up from her phone with a big surprised smile, as if this was the last thing she expected me to say. "Yes, yes, yes! Please, are you guys patching things up?" she says all at once. 

I tell her everything as we walk down the hall to our cars, each detail making her heart melt more and more. "Okay text him now," she says, watching me text him from over my shoulder 

Bea

wanna go to the bar?

jack rowden 🫂 

will you be there?

 Bea

yes 😭 

jack rowden 🫂

sold. where?

also, I can't drink.

 Bea 

right, I'll not drink with you

jack rowden 🫂

you don't have to do that

Bea

I'd like to.  

"You guys are going to break my heart," Devon says, reminding me that she was reading the messages the whole time. I jolt away from her, turning my phone off after sending the address. She gets closer to me to pinch my cheeks telling me I'm so thoughtful and girlfriend-y for choosing to not drink to make him comfortable. I walk away from her and her teasing, getting in my car just to hear her at the bar until Jack shows up. 

We get in a booth, watching Nico walk in and scoots next to Devon. I'm guessing Devon told him I invited Jack. "For what it's worth Bea, I think it's very nice nothing to laugh about," he says, shading Devon for calling me a bunch of stupid names. We continue to bicker until Jack walks in, I hit the top of the table silencing them. He hugs Devon and Nico before scooting into the space beside me.

Our waitress for the night walks over to us letting us know that all alcoholic drinks will need to be ordered at the bar but food and anything else can be ordered from the table. We order some nachos, fries, and a thin-crust pizza with some sodas, taking it easy until Devon and Nico start drinking. I listen to the group talk about their day from the moment they woke up until now. 

Nico tells me about a few meetings he had to go into the office for today for some brand deal I'll have to shoot since it's a collaboration with the Devils. Devon tells us about her call with Jamie and basically pouts over how much she misses him. Nico lets her head fall onto his shoulder as he rubs her arm. "You'll see him soon," he tells her, making her even sadder and shoving a bunch of fries into her mouth. "You don't get it. Nico is single and Bea well," she looks over at Jack who ends up smirking at me.