Chapter 54

[October 11, 2023]

Beatrice

Recently work has been a bit rough, about two weeks ago it was announced that there might be a few cuts in the office and we would be informed who would be let go as soon as possible. I felt a bit secure in my position since I'd never heard any conversation about wanting a new social media admin or photographer. 

I've been trying my best to keep cool but anxiety bubbled in my stomach when I got a knock on my door from Gary's assistant. Gary is the one that controls everything business-wise and money-wise, so getting called up to his office during this season makes me pop all the bones in my fingers. She walks me inside, closing the door behind me. 

"Hey Gary, what's up?" I pretend like I'm not dripping sweat out of pure anxiety. He asks me to sit down as he scrolls through his computer for a bit. "Okay so first, relax you're not being let go," he says, making shaky and nervous laughter tumble out of my mouth. I put a hand to my chest, slowing down my speedy heart. 

"Okay starting off I want to say, we've been incredibly impressed with your dedication and the quality of your work since you joined our team. You're always going above and beyond for us, trust me and it hasn't gone unnoticed." He says, making my heart swell. "With that being said, because of all the cuts we're making we want to give you a promotion," He goes on to say that the guy that had the job they're giving me wasn't as good as I could be, and got fired. 

The job would allow me to do everything I'm doing now for more money and I'd get to interview interns the next time our photography program opens up. I'd get a bigger office, one closer to Devon's so I did the only thing that came to mind. I accepted it. There's no other answer but yes. Gary stands from his chair, shaking my hand, and congratulating me on my new position. 

I tried being super quiet about my promotion since I knew others would be getting fired and I didn't want to be insensitive. But the news spread throughout the office little by little. Devon and Nico stopped by with a small cake and congratulated me with genuine happiness. They told me how much deserved every bit of success that came my way and hugged me tightly. 

"Can we take you out to dinner?" Devon smiles, squeezing my hands. "Oh I'd love that, but Harry asked to go out tonight. You can join though, I'm sure he wouldn't mind, or I could cancel," I say really fast, hoping I could salvage plans with them. "No, no it's okay go out with Harry and make sure he celebrates the shit out of you," Devon smiles pointing a finger at me.

-

After I finish all my work, I rush out of my office, locking up, and once again speed walk to my car. The day I'm not rushing to get ready for a date with Harry will be a magical day, but until that day arrives I'll be running around to make it on time. Right as I'm about to push the door to the parking lot open I hear Jack say, "Congrats on the promotion, beautiful. You deserve it," he smiles, brushing past me. 

"Stop that, but thank you," I say, trying my best to ignore the way my cheeks heat up. If I give him the reaction he wants he'll never stop. I get into my car, slightly frustrated with Jack's flirtatious behavior. Where was this side of him months ago? It's not fair to me or Harry.

By the time Harry shows up at my door I feel much better and am able to give him my full and undivided attention. "Hi baby," he greets me, handing me some pink roses, and pressing a sweet kiss onto my lips. "Hi handsome, you look so good," I giggle, holding onto his hand as I take my flowers to the kitchen. "Thank you for the flowers," I say, filling up a vase with water.

After putting my flowers in the water, I give Ringo a few kisses on his head before walking out to meet Harry in the car. Ever since the day Ringo bit him, he's kept his distance and hasn't even looked at him. So upsetting that my boys can't get along.