Chapter 97

[October 1, 2024]

Beatrice 

"Ready for bed?" Jack asks, taking my mug out of my hands. I nod my head calmly, watching him walk out of my room with my dishes. When he's out the door I start wiggling in place way too excited for tomorrow. Tomorrow is the first regular season game and it's impossible to stay calm right now, I feel like a little kid before the first day of school. 

You know when you get excited and just want to dance around until you tire yourself out? If that's just me then that's pretty embarrassing but all I can do is try to force all my energy out. I smile until my cheeks ache and shimmy around until Jack crosses the corner to lie in bed with me. My dancing comes to a halt and force a serious act. 

"You okay?" Jack asks, suspicious of my behavior, lifting the covers to slip inside. I hum out a short response, turning on my side to face away from him. He ignores my little white lie and scoots closer to me to cuddle me. I feel his arm wrap around my chest and if I wasn't so full of energy I could probably sleep right now. 

For a few minutes, I stay still but despite my attempts, I can't help but move around. The first time Jack pushes it away and just adjusts his hold on me but the next few times he pokes me in the ribs. "Bea," he starts, causing me to stop. "I'm sorry, I'm just so excited." I tell him, wiggling around some more now that I've come clean. 

Jack huffs, pushing himself up onto his hands to look at me. "Are you serious?" he chuckles, running his fingers through his freshly cut hair. It had gotten pretty long by the time we got back from Greece, I'm surprised it didn't bother him sooner. I nod my head, biting my lip to contain the toothy grin I want to let out. 

Jack shakes his head, blowing a laugh out through his nose. "How can I get you to go to sleep? Quickest route, no freeways." he adds on, making me giggle over the Lego Batman movie Trevor kept sending us clips of. I turn onto my back and shrug my shoulder, not sure how to tire myself out when I'm this happy. 

"How about you just try?" Jack says, raising his eyebrows before turning the TV on. He flips through a few of our apps before clicking Disney+. I sit up watching him search for 'Fantasia' since he knows it always puts me to bed. That might be the quickest route with no freeways. After turning up the volume he lays down on his back.

 I lay my head on his chest and stare up at the screen until the sleepiness wins and I fall asleep dreaming about Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Sleep wins this round, but when I wake up fully rested it's over for everyone. 

-

When I wake up I wake up almost in a panic, scaring Jack out of his mind. Questions fly out of his mouth, "Babe, Bea? Are you okay?" He asks, waiting for a response from me. I know he's going to be upset when I tell him why I woke up in that way but whatever he'll get a pregame nap. "It's game day." I smile, jumping out of bed to go make some coffee. 

"Unbelievable," Jack mutters, tucking his face back into his pillow to catch up on the sleep he missed out on when I wouldn't stop wiggling for an hour and a half. I prance around the kitchen, grabbing the mug Jack made me for my birthday when he took me to one of those pottery painting places. We were there for hours while he perfected the star shape.

 We were there for hours while he perfected the star shape